1975 Marmon Tri Axle

slug

7 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Quite a few over the road tractors when they reach replacement age get sold and either they either stay a tractor unit , BUT many are bought  and the new owners put a dump body on it and either doesn't know or doesn't care that an OTR unit has a lighter chassis and lighter capacity rears (with a highway gear ratio), springs and steer axle. Usually end up twisted, bend  and fatigue (stress) cracked

Wow, that is a serious concern. That is a legit "run away" scenario. Thanks 41chevy and 6368!

21 hours ago, slug said:

Hi Hayseed, Thanks so much for the input. It's obvious you have an opinion

Hi Slug, Thank you for letting Me express My Opinion..

21 hours ago, slug said:

1) "Driptroit"... Care to elaborate?

"Driptroit" is a Slang term Or nickname given to those Old 2 stroke GMs. As they were notorious for leaking (Or Dripping) Oil everywhere.

21 hours ago, slug said:

"Been sitting for 12 years" Please help me to understand why a truck that hasn't been beaten for 12 of it's 43 years is a bad thing.

Just because It hasn't been doing anything, Doesn't mean that things DON'T deteriorate..

It's being touched on By others here. But before starting the GM ensure that the Emergency Stop Flap in the Air intake is set properly & the cable into the dash is set & working . I'd also remove both rocker covers & ensure that ALL the Injectors & the 2 Racks Are free & not Stuck.. Otherwise you'll have a runaway engine that will grenade itself before you even Start..

12 year old Tyres put back to Work will more than likely  be flying to Bits the first time they get Warm.

Every Oil seal will be Dry & brittle .. Ditto for all the rubber  Brake lines Air valves ect.

There will be  fair chance there's a mouse nest (or 3) under dash in amongst the wiring.

You will most likely (In my Opinion) need to budget on within the first 12 months, doing 12 years worth of Maintainence to the Air system & wiring.

I hope for your sake I'm Wrong.

22 hours ago, slug said:

2) My understanding of Marmon parts is that they are relatively generic to other manufacturers of the time

41chev has covered this.

But the point I was trying to Make is that Marmon Specific Parts will be far harder to source than a more common Brands..

22 hours ago, slug said:

3) Didn't ask in OP but thank you for your thoughts... Bottom line, not looking for a lecture

Sorry to come across So cynical. It's just that after nearly 35 yrs I've seen countless examples of ;

On 2/12/2018 at 5:27 AM, slug said:

I am not a truck guy and buying this truck for a close friend that wants to put this truck to work.

Not just in transport either..

But almost without exception, they will end in Tears..

Odds are; (From My observations) Within 12-18 months you & your Friend will hate each others Guts, & no longer talk to each other.You'll have a Large tax write you don't really need. Plus you'll have an asset that Owes you far more than It's market value..

Sorry to coma across so Cynical. But gaining Experience in the Transport Industry is Hard Work & expensive..

Good luck & I sincerely hope your venture is one of the few Exceptions to My observations..

• Like 2

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Anything that sits that long is bound to be a bigger problem than you initially expect as some have elaborated on. I had a 318 detroit in one of my trucks and the damn thing loved to over fuel and start winding up for the kill if it idled too long. As they said EVERYTHING under the hood was covered in oil and from what I have looked up before you can't stop them from doing it.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

damn    wish i could get the picture  like to see what it looks like

To everyone that responded to my OP, thank you! Great feedback which helped me to ultimately pass on this particular truck. I took a closer look at the truck this morning and it is quite a project. Good truck for a antique guy that wants to fix it up and show. 

For me, I will keep looking and plan to spend a bit more money on a truck and focus on trucks that are currently working rather than sitting around collecting dust. 

Regarding some of the comments directed to my doing business with a friend and getting into the transport industry in general. I hear what everyone is saying and I agree with most. I have been involved in more than a dozen businesses over the past 25 years and I have seen just about everything. I don't deny that this could end badly but like I said in an earlier post, if I feel things are going sideways, I WILL get out quickly. I don't intend to throw good money at bad. 

Anyway, I attached the pictures below... If anyone wants to take on a project and is near Danbury CT, feel free to message me and I will gladly pass along the information, very nice seller. BTW.pictures are from approximately 9 months ago. 

Hayseed, thanks for elaborating on your earlier post. 

Take care.

Dan

FB_IMG_1450607095695.jpg

FB_IMG_1450607105700.jpg

• Like 2