1975 Marmon Tri Axle

slug

Hi, I am brand new to the board and have a question on a Tri Axle Dump Truck I am about to buy. The truck is a 1975 Marmon with a 318 silver 92 13 speed Detroit cab. I have to be honest, I am not a truck guy and buying this truck for a close friend that wants to put this truck to work. I am curious if anyone on this site has some knowledge of this year truck itself or even the manufacturer? 

The truck is in pristine condition and hasn't been actively working in 12 years but was put to pasture in fine condition. 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

12 minutes ago, slug said:

Hi, I am brand new to the board and have a question on a Tri Axle Dump Truck I am about to buy. The truck is a 1975 Marmon with a 318 silver 92 13 speed Detroit cab. I have to be honest, I am not a truck guy and buying this truck for a close friend that wants to put this truck to work. I am curious if anyone on this site has some knowledge of this year truck itself or even the manufacturer? 

The truck is in pristine condition and hasn't been actively working in 12 years but was put to pasture in fine condition. 

Thanks

sounds like you are not to truck savy, if you are looking at a 43 year old truck you better get somebody pretty experienced to look at it with you, could be a real money pit.    terry:D

2 minutes ago, terry said:

sounds like you are not to truck savy, if you are looking at a 43 year old truck you better get somebody pretty experienced to look at it with you, could be a real money pit.    terry:D

"not too truck savy" is an understatement. Lets just say that truck is in good shape for a 43 year old truck. Are there concerns with this particular brand of truck?

34 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

first off, it depends what your state regulations are. some states will not let a truck that old work unless it is updated to pass current emissions regulations.

I don't believe PA is one of them since I know there are a ton of trucks from the early 80's.  My 1 ton pickup truck doesn't even need to pass emissions in PA. 

Find a local independent diesel repair shop, maybe the one your friend will deal with. See if someone from the shop will go with you to look it over before your friend talks money to the owner. This is what l did when l first started out before l bought my '77 R612 when it was five years old. Gee it's been that long ago?! lol   .....Hippy 

7 minutes ago, 70mackMB said:

Find a local independent diesel repair shop, maybe the one your friend will deal with. See if someone from the shop will go with you to look it over before your friend talks money to the owner. This is what l did when l first started out before l bought my '77 R612 when it was five years old. Gee it's been that long ago?! lol   .....Hippy 

Thank you 70mackMB! I will be sure to do that. I will also ask them what the rules are regarding older trucks in PA. Someone had told me they were grandfathered in but it can't hurt to get a second and third opinion. 

1) A 43 yr old Driptroit that's been sitting for 12 yrs....

2) Marmon Stopped truck production over 20 yrs ago. So quite few parts will made from "Unobtainium"

3) Doing Business with a (for now) Close Friend...

What could possibly go wrong..........

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

2 hours ago, Hayseed said:

1) A 43 yr old Driptroit that's been sitting for 12 yrs....

2) Marmon Stopped truck production over 20 yrs ago. So quite few parts will made from "Unobtainium"

3) Doing Business with a (for now) Close Friend...

What could possibly go wrong..........

Hi Hayseed, Thanks so much for the input. It's obvious you have an opinion but as I said in the OP, I am a novice when it comes to trucks. 1) "Driptroit"... Care to elaborate? "Been sitting for 12 years" Please help me to understand why a truck that hasn't been beaten for 12 of it's 43 years is a bad thing. I know you have a sensible reason but until you let me know, kind of defeats the purpose of responding to my OP? 2) My understanding of Marmon parts is that they are relatively generic to other manufacturers of the time. On a forum post in this site I read the parts shouldn't be an issue at all. If you have knowledge to the contrary, please elaborate? I am 100% open to an intelligent discussion. 3) Didn't ask in OP but thank you for your thoughts... Bottom line, not looking for a lecture, just answers. Thanks in advance for your response. 

50 minutes ago, theakerstwo said:

Dont forget about the insurance on a old truck.Some companys will not cover them.

Thanks for your comment. Very good question but I did speak with my insurance agent that handles all of my companies policies and he said he can quote my business and it appears to be less than most other truckers premium. I don't intend to cover the truck itself with a ton of coverage. Thanks again.

7 minutes ago, slug said:

Hi Hayseed, Thanks so much for the input. It's obvious you have an opinion but as I said in the OP, I am a novice when it comes to trucks. 1) "Driptroit"... Care to elaborate? "Been sitting for 12 years" Please help me to understand why a truck that hasn't been beaten for 12 of it's 43 years is a bad thing. I know you have a sensible reason but until you let me know, kind of defeats the purpose of responding to my OP? 2) My understanding of Marmon parts is that they are relatively generic to other manufacturers of the time. On a forum post in this site I read the parts shouldn't be an issue at all. If you have knowledge to the contrary, please elaborate? I am 100% open to an intelligent discussion. 3) Didn't ask in OP but thank you for your thoughts... Bottom line, not looking for a lecture, just answers. Thanks in advance for your response. 

I have 3 Marmons, they were aside from body parts off the shelf mechanical parts. Rears, brakes, trans and engines are / were all common items. What made Marmons were the fact the were hand assembled units. Only parts I've found hard to get are interior panels and some body trim.  Paul

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

6 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

I have 3 Marmons, they were aside from body parts off the shelf mechanical parts. Rears, brakes, trans and engines are / were all common items. What made Marmons were the fact the were hand assembled units. Only parts I've found hard to get are interior panels and some body trim.  Paul

Thanks for confirming what I had read in previous threads. My general thoughts on the specific truck that I am looking at is that I am getting it at such a low price (relatively) I can step away from it fairly quickly if things start going sideways. The accessibility to parts was a serious concern of mine. Appreciate the comment. 

7 hours ago, slug said:

Thanks

You got any pictures? 318 would be a 8V-71; silver 92 could be 6V or 8V with both more than 318hp. Would be good idea to have someone with experience with you when cranking if has not run in 12 yrs. I would pump clean fuel with power service and turning over working the rack before starting. You need to talk to folks in your area that know these engines. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, david wild said:

Bet every seal on that green/silver dripper will leak, fuel useage ?? finding a good wrench to work on it ??????  there was a reason it was put out to pasture. 

Yes, that is a legit question. Have asked that question in 10 different forms and so far have gotten the same answer (acceptable) all ten times. That doesn't mean it is accurate but at least the seller is consistent. lol I wouldn't doubt the fuel efficiency is rather low. Thanks

6 minutes ago, 1965 said:

You got any pictures? 318 would be a 8V-71; silver 92 could be 6V or 8V with both more than 318hp. Would be good idea to have someone with experience with you when cranking if has not run in 12 yrs. I would pump clean fuel with power service and turning over working the rack before starting. You need to talk to folks in your area that know these engines. 

I am literally going to copy and paste what you just wrote into an email to the mechanic I use for my other companies fleet of trucks. FYI- I don't know much about those trucks either. Just that when one of my employees says it doesn't feel right, send it to my mechanic. lol. Thanks

29 minutes ago, 1965 said:

I will definitely take this advice. Very helpful. Thanks. Picture attached.  

FB_IMG_1450607105700.jpg

25 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

have at least one valve cover off and a pair of vise grips clamped on the govenor rail so if it trys to run away you can shut it down quickly

Again, I'm just going to copy and paste what you just said into an email to mechanic. lol. Thanks

Also check or post here what are the axles e.g. rockwell,  eaton, sshd,  fl931.  So someone makes sure it is up too triaxle duty  and not a light speced tractor conversion( they were popular to do back in the day).  If it does not have a double frame... run away.

9 minutes ago, 6368 said:

Also check or post here what are the axles e.g. rockwell,  eaton, sshd,  fl931.  So someone makes sure it is up too triaxle duty  and not a light speced tractor conversion( they were popular to do back in the day).  If it does not have a double frame... run away.

Hmm, are you saying that someone may have converted after market or that Marmon could have manufactured it this way? BTW. I live in Wyomissing, saw Berks. 

1 hour ago, slug said:

Hmm, are you saying that someone may have converted after market or that Marmon could have manufactured it this way? BTW. I live in Wyomissing, saw Berks. 

Quite a few over the road tractors when they reach replacement age get sold and either they either stay a tractor unit , BUT many are bought  and the new owners put a dump body on it and either doesn't know or doesn't care that an OTR unit has a lighter chassis and lighter capacity rears (with a highway gear ratio), springs and steer axle. Usually end up twisted, bend  and fatigue (stress) cracked

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE