Little engines that can: Big power from small displacements

kscarbel2

I have a friend who did long haul deck work for many years. He then became a salesman for Mack a couple years and now he stays home on the farm. He once told me that diesels are creatures of habit, where you first break them in is where they will always perform best. I have found that to be true. When we would switch trucks from A-Train to Super B the power and fuel difference was Phenomenal. This is with twin trucks with the exact same specs except having started life pulling different weight. Which makes me wonder if my truck wouldn’t do a bit better if it hadn’t previously been a reefer truck.  Food for thought. 

I agree with you on the dd15 not having the grunt to hold and keep pulling. I’m sure others in here are tired of my dislike of the dd15 but it’s a dog. The last cat we had here (truck specd the same as the others except for engine) would walk all over these Detroit’s and usually use less fuel. I’m usually somewhere between 3.8-4.4 depending on winter fuel or not. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

On 2/9/2018 at 12:38 AM, GoldDog44 said:

It’s got 3:40 S38R rears rated for 150,000lbs and the Twin Y suspension rated for 160,000lbs. 

GoldDog, Whats your opinion of the Twin Y Suspension??

I've been pricing up a new truck lately, & Mack have been refusing to Quote Me a twin Y.. Plus It's only available here with a 50,000kg (110,000lbs) Rating...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Before I bought the truck I was advised to stay away from the Twin Y because it is a Volvo part Number called the Twin Blade suspension. With buying a used truck you can’t control those options though.
The suspension itself is a very simple but effective design and I can easily see why they would have decided to reduce the rating on it, if that is what they did. I find it rides very well and it’s holding up fairly well with my many miles of gravel and farmyard use. I have 37,000-39,000 lbs on my drives most of the time and I think it’s a little softer than it should be. When you look at how it’s built, I have my concerns on how it’s rated at 160,000 lbs but I’m not an engineer. There’s really not a lot of beef too it. It has bottomed out a number of times crossing some rural railroad crossings but I have no complaints. My wheelbase is quite short but the ride quality is excellent and I give credit to the softness of the Twin Y. I think in the 110,000 lb weight class it would shine.
When I was looking around one salesman told me to look at the Holland Neway suspensions. They have some awesome independent long travel options if that’s what you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In another thread mackpro or Macktechnician commented on the twin y suspension saying there was a recall and upgrade. I think he said under heavy emergency braking the y arms were twisting or bending because they’re too light. 

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

8 hours ago, Hayseed said:

GoldDog, Whats your opinion of the Twin Y Suspension??

I've been pricing up a new truck lately, & Mack have been refusing to Quote Me a twin Y.. Plus It's only available here with a 50,000kg (110,000lbs) Rating...

I looked it up for you. The 40,000kg rating is for 4x2 applications. It's the 6x4 that gets the 160,000 lb rating. https://www.macktrucks.com/powertrain-and-suspensions/suspensions/twin-y/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoldDog44 said:

I looked it up for you. The 40,000kg rating is for 4x2 applications. It's the 6x4 that gets the 160,000 lb rating. https://www.macktrucks.com/powertrain-and-suspensions/suspensions/twin-y/

Not here in Australia..

The twin Y is only available on the Granite, & only with the S40 Axles & In a single trailer (50,000kg) Rating..

http://img06.en25.com/Web/VolvoAUS/{23b2ee29-64e1-48d0-8b50-d52a1ffefcc2}_granite_distribution.pdf

https://www.macktrucks.com.au/-/media/files-au/brochures/axlessuspensionbrochure122015.pdf?as=1&la=en

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

8 hours ago, GoldDog44 said:

When I was looking around one salesman told me to look at the Holland Neway suspensions. They have some awesome independent long travel options if that’s what you’re looking for.

I agree..They're only only available here in Australia with Kenworth though. The other 2 Truck manufacturers (Mack & Iveco) Fit Hendrickson Primaxx suspension for those Applications..

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

35 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Not here in Australia..

The twin Y is only available on the Granite, & only with the S40 Axles & In a single trailer (50,000kg) Rating..

http://img06.en25.com/Web/VolvoAUS/{23b2ee29-64e1-48d0-8b50-d52a1ffefcc2}_granite_distribution.pdf

https://www.macktrucks.com.au/-/media/files-au/brochures/axlessuspensionbrochure122015.pdf?as=1&la=en

I guess I can’t help you then. The design spec said that it’s engineered for 2050 tq as well which would make available even on a Titan or Superliner. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GoldDog44 said:

I guess I can’t help you then. The design spec said that it’s engineered for 2050 tq as well which would make available even on a Titan or Superliner. 

Actually, you have Helped Me. With giving your real world hands on, opinion of your twin Y in What appears to be similar type of Operating Conditions..

Edited by Hayseed

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -