ETB1005 v8 engine

13 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

Interesting reading- Looks like the V8s were big sellers in the 70s then faded. I remember reading in one of the magazines that before Renault offered the V8, Mack was only building two a week. Would be interesting to see the numbers with all the exported V8s to Renault, Mack Australia, etc. included.

Total V8 Diesel production including, marine, military, Renault and Austrailia  from 1960 to 1999  was 32,199 as per Don from the museum.  Paul

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 12/24/2017 at 2:25 PM, Outbehindthebarn said:

Maybe the nomenclature changes once the after coolers become standard on all V8's... because the 735 1005 engine was not aftercooled and the 736 was... All 721-22's were intercooled correct?

Yes you are correct.

On 12/24/2017 at 10:47 PM, mackdaddy said:

Don from the Mack museum provided me the build info on the V8's. and after we talked he revised it by adding the import V8's as they were sent to Australia and France. Which explains the Renault COE that I saw in Paris with French Bulldog across the front!

Mack V8 Diesel Engines.doc

That non intercooled engine is one of the few that I have seen, Very Cool. If I had one it would be in my B model instead of an 866.

Is there an accurate count of the late E9 production? Looking at the .doc and there are fare less E9's than actually built. There were approx. 15000 MH's built with 2/3 of them having E9's. That is approx. 10,000 in Cabovers alone plus all the other applications. How many RW and CL's where built with them in the USA and Australia?  I can not find the actual numbers but would really like to know.  There are the marine and military variants as well as DM's. There were many more than 3768 E9's and variants built between 81- 99, if so that would come out to 210 engines a year. I thought I saw something like 15,000 of them in that time span.

Is there any information on the number of E9's with inline pumps built opposed to the V pump.

On 12/24/2017 at 11:49 AM, BGarofalo said:

The engine serial number should be on the passenger side of the engine on the oil pan rail. You will see a flat area. I would have to agree with 41Chevy, I think the number built is wrong. The timeline with the engine build dates just doesn't line up. Aside from a few differences they are pretty much identical to an E9.

I got it started last night. Ill try to post a video.

IMG_2602 (2).JPG

IMG_2601 (2).JPG

Can you post a pic of the area on the oil pan rail where yours is stamped? I see a bumped out area near the front corner where my a/c compressor mounts, but I can feel or see any numbers there.

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

17 hours ago, Outbehindthebarn said:

Can you post a pic of the area on the oil pan rail where yours is stamped? I see a bumped out area near the front corner where my a/c compressor mounts, but I can feel or see any numbers there.

Your in the right place. I had the same problem when I was looking for my numbers. I had to get the sand paper after it. There not stamped real deep and can be hard to read sometime. 

5 hours ago, Yoos Brothers Construction said:

Your in the right place. I had the same problem when I was looking for my numbers. I had to get the sand paper after it. There not stamped real deep and can be hard to read sometime. 

Its tight to the frame rail.. damn near need a mirror to get a visual on it.. right?

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:43 PM, Outbehindthebarn said:

Sorry for the delay its just been madness at work. Passenger side near the front cover on the oil pan rail. Its a very light stamping so you will probly need to sand the paint down a bit.

I have a video of the engine starting but I don't have a youtube account. After only a few spins of the air starter it came to life.  The air starter must spin the motor over at 300 rpm! it is quite impressive actually.

Serial number (2).JPG

• Like 2

On 12/25/2017 at 11:55 PM, 41chevy said:

Total V8 Diesel production including, marine, military, Renault and Austrailia  from 1960 to 1999  was 32,199 as per Don from the museum.  Paul

^

On 12/26/2017 at 7:59 PM, AZB755V8 said:

That non intercooled engine is one of the few that I have seen, Very Cool. If I had one it would be in my B model instead of an 866.

Is there an accurate count of the late E9 production? Looking at the .doc and there are fare less E9's than actually built. There were approx. 15000 MH's built with 2/3 of them having E9's. That is approx. 10,000 in Cabovers alone plus all the other applications. How many RW and CL's where built with them in the USA and Australia?  I can not find the actual numbers but would really like to know.  There are the marine and military variants as well as DM's. There were many more than 3768 E9's and variants built between 81- 99, if so that would come out to 210 engines a year. I thought I saw something like 15,000 of them in that time span.

Is there any information on the number of E9's with inline pumps built opposed to the V pump.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE