Trailer Tires; Good Buy on Amazon

fxfymn

9 hours ago, fxfymn said:

Heads up if you need trailer tires.

I had a tire blow out on the trailer while returning from the Winchester show. Fortunately it happened in a good place and the TPM screamed at me right away, so I could find a safe place to change it out. They tires are six years old, so I guess it is right on schedule to fail.

Carl - Truck shows sure are hard on trailer tires!  Glad you are safe.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

13 hours ago, farmer52 said:

Carl - Truck shows sure are hard on trailer tires!  Glad you are safe.

Yep. Trailers in general are such a PIA. It seems like every time I'm out something breaks and I'm very anal about keeping them maintained. I really wonder how the hotshot and car carrier guys keep their trailers on the road.

The really funny thing about this one is I had just been thinking about the tires and wondering if I could get one more trip out of them before I replaced them. About one minute later I heard the bang and the TPM started beeping. I guess the trailer gods can read my mind and sent a clear message about what to do.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

1 hour ago, fxfymn said:

Yep. Trailers in general are such a PIA. It seems like every time I'm out something breaks and I'm very anal about keeping them maintained. I really wonder how the hotshot and car carrier guys keep their trailers on the road.

The really funny thing about this one is I had just been thinking about the tires and wondering if I could get one more trip out of them before I replaced them. About one minute later I heard the bang and the TPM started beeping. I guess the trailer gods can read my mind and sent a clear message about what to do.

I agree,  trailers seem to require more maintenance than anything else. I have a 24' enclosed with 15" tires. I had D load range tires about 8 years old. I bought a set of E load range tires at Hershey. While bringing the trailer from the storage lot (2 miles) to home to put the new tires on a tread separated. I guess I was lucky not to be on the side of the highway somewhere.

Fxfymn,I drove many car carriers, and owned a 7000 gmc ,, hotshot, the car carriers didn't go through tires any worse than the other 18 wheelers I drove! The hotshot trailer came from the factory with 16" 12 ply michelins and they lasted a long time!  When they wore out I replaced them with 8 ply tires. I didn't normally load more than 8000 lb of insulation or maybe 3 conversion vans at about 15000lb! I went thru a lot of tires but they were cheap!

11 hours ago, BillyT said:

Fxfymn,I drove many car carriers, and owned a 7000 gmc ,, hotshot, the car carriers didn't go through tires any worse than the other 18 wheelers I drove! The hotshot trailer came from the factory with 16" 12 ply michelins and they lasted a long time!  When they wore out I replaced them with 8 ply tires. I didn't normally load more than 8000 lb of insulation or maybe 3 conversion vans at about 15000lb! I went thru a lot of tires but they were cheap!

I guess the answer is pretty obvious; you wear out the tires before they get to the point of failing from old age. The Michelins are great, but at around $250.00 each I can replace the tires close to three times for the same money with a less expensive brand. I'm sure that is why you went away from them.

The new tires are getting here today and I hope to get them mounted tomorrow so I can go to a show this weekend. We'll see how they hold up.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I used to run GY Marathons for my trailer(225/75/15), Load E.  I now run a china version(can't say the name right now).  Only $60/tire instead of $130 for the GY.  I used to get 6 yrs from the GY, but only 4-5 from the china tires.   Yes, the fall apart before I wear them out.  Anymore I just go 4-5 yrs and buy 6 new ones.  No sense in waiting for them to blow and deal with it late at night on the Pike or such.

Mine being a triaxle I think it is a bit easier on tires, though you would think the drag from going around corners would tear them up(it doesn't).  I'm really careful with my turns and backing up to help eliminate the side load.  I'm only 10K on the 15K worth of axles so that also helps with heat.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"