Dump body question

I've always been curious about converting a tandem dump truck into a tractor.  People say it's no big deal.  But, at least to my eye, a dump truck typically appears to have a shortened tail frame compared to a tractor.  Is this just my imagination?  I'm talking about trucks like R and RWs.  Seems like on a tractor there is several inches of frame rail protruding past the back wheel.  But on a dump truck the frame typically ends abruptly just past the rear rubber (where the dump hinges).  I always figured if you removed the dump body and put a 5th wheel on it would appear to have an unusually short tail frame.  So are dump truck frames modified when a dump body is installed?  Do you cut a little bit of tail frame off to get that hinge as close to the rear wheels as possible?  Or is a tractor frame (length) and a dump frame exactly the same?  Can people show me pics of tractors that once were dumps?  Thanks!

17192314_433628260322988_7041514289898741307_o.jpg

Depends also on the frame length and axle placement and the type of dump bed and if it is sub framed or not.  Lots of combos.  I have seen more low boy frames cut than dumps both of my rwls have orginals length frames.  One has a dump bed was a road tractor with sleeper (1985) the other was ordered for dealer installed sleeper and deal fell apart and was sold to a concrete plant and a 16 ft aluminum bed was installed.  Was then sold years later and converted back to a tractor (1978)

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Most dumps should have two feet of over hang from the back of the tire to the rear of the bed with the hinge mounted close to the end of the frame,so you really don't want or need much frame past the rear most tire .

Since the fifth wheel hinge on a tractor is generally ahead of center of the bogies ( to put the desired weight on the steering axle) which places the back end of the fifth well well ahead of the rear axle, which still leaves ample amounts of exposed frame..... why is this even a consideration? just asking. I don't understand your concern....but don't take it personally, I don't understand many things in life. Lol

I realize it's probably silly.  My concern is purely cosmetic.  To me, a tractor should normally have a little bit of frame behind the tandems.  Like maybe 8"-10", I'm gonna say (I've never actually measured).  I just think it would be a big bummer to go to all the trouble to remove a dump body and wind up with a tractor that has a shortened, odd-looking tail frame (or lack thereof) behind the tandems.  I think that would bug me, visually.  I'm weird, I know.  

Sounds a little funny talking about Mack Butt, but I do think a little funny at times.  So we are talking about the ass end of a Mack? Well I like my asses a little big and hanging out a little. Sort of like a Butty Butt on a nice woman. Never thought about the ass end of my Mack's Butt, but the 3 tractors I have all hang out there just the way Mack intended. Photos of nice Mack Butt (Tail) to follow if needed..... :thumb:

Sounds a little counterproductive. Around here a rigid tipper (dump truck) normally costs more than a day cab prime mover. 

Might be cheaper to just buy a prime mover. 

But, if you have a good deal, then you could always add a few inches just to make it look complete. 

If there is too much overhang on a dump and you place the hinge to far back, when dumping the tailgate will hit the ground on some. If you pave with the truck your tailgate will hit in the paver and lift your ass end up off the ground negating the trolley brake and send you rolling outside, dumping your load in front of the paver thus you will have a bunch of pissed off laborers who have to shovel it up.