Exhaust coating

Is there anything you guys use to coat your exhaust? 

Ive used high temp exhaust paint before on my kw but it's still rusting. Can't remember the brand. Didn't use a primer and not sure if you need too?

An acquaintance has had his exhaust hot dipped which is basically galvanised. Not sure if they need the exhaust super clean to do that. 

I didn't want to go the ceramic coating way, as it a working truck and the bits I'm doing won't be seen. And not sure of cost of ceramic coating?

Thanks in advance. 

Sounds ok. Do you need to cure the paint any special way?

I've seen some brands say to run the vehicle for 10 mins or so but my truck won't be able to run for a month or so as it's got no fuel tanks just yet. 

Thanks for your replies. I'll definitely try and clean and sand as best I can. 

I picked up a new muffler off eBay for less then $100 shipped to Aus. Nice stainless job, they claim it's made in the USA. 

Thats it next to my original one. Hope it sounds good. IMG_3054.thumb.JPG.a1c696eaedb3fcdb6885d842115fe303.JPG

• 5 weeks later...
On 01.06.2017 at 3:32 PM, Timmyb said:

Thanks for your replies. I'll definitely try and clean and sand as best I can. 

I picked up a new muffler off eBay for less then $100 shipped to Aus. Nice stainless job, they claim it's made in the USA. 

Thats it next to my original one. Hope it sounds good.

Sorry and maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like stainless.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I'm of the belief it's a lower grade stainless steel. I've had grade 304 on car exhausts before it it's super shiny like chrome almost. Then I've had other car stainless car exhausts and looked nothing like stainless. 

13 hours ago, Timmyb said:

I'm of the belief it's a lower grade stainless steel. I've had grade 304 on car exhausts before it it's super shiny like chrome almost. Then I've had other car stainless car exhausts and looked nothing like stainless. 

Probably 301 Stainless, good weldability. Better wear resistance and fatigue strength than 304 in exhaust products.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE