Question about R/U Model Radiator

Hello Mack experts,

I am restoring a 1978 Mack U Model Tractor with the 237 engine.  Unfortunately the Radiator is leaking pretty bad and probably needs a new core.  We tried "Stop Leak" with only temporary success.

I found a guy on Craigslist who is parting out a 1978 R Model Tractor.  He wants $500 for the radiator.  Is this a reasonable price for a used Radiator and does the radiator on an R model fit the U Model?

Most modern radiators are "throw-away" and there are fewer shops that actually rebuild radiators anymore.  Any idea how much it would cost to have a R/U model radiator redone? 

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Mike

4 hours ago, Mdmccurr said:

Hello Mack experts,

I am restoring a 1978 Mack U Model Tractor with the 237 engine.  Unfortunately the Radiator is leaking pretty bad and probably needs a new core.  We tried "Stop Leak" with only temporary success.

I found a guy on Craigslist who is parting out a 1978 R Model Tractor.  He wants $500 for the radiator.  Is this a reasonable price for a used Radiator and does the radiator on an R model fit the U Model?

Most modern radiators are "throw-away" and there are fewer shops that actually rebuild radiators anymore.  Any idea how much it would cost to have a R/U model radiator redone? 

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, when you called your local Mack dealer with the model and serial number (last five digits of the VIN) off the vehicle identification plate on the driver's door and asked about a new radiator (possibly 3MF5296AP2), what did they say?

1 hour ago, jettertrucks said:

detroit radiator we have had good luck and comes with gasket and bolts

I agree. Bought a core from them for my '70 KW K-100. Just be careful when removing the bolts from your  tanks. As always, electrolysis  is the enemy  in this job. Some  of  the  bolts were a bugger to get out of the aluminum  tanks. Easy does it! And don't  over tighten  the bolts,the gasket "sqwash" is a good  indicator of required tightness of the tank bolts. Patience is  the  key! Al  

• Like 2

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Good luck can't help you much on this one but yes I would recommend recore as you mentioned these days they're pretty much throw away and I don't think I would feel comfortable with anything used unless it was quite old lol....good luck...bob

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk