A convertible 6x6 R model

mrsmackpaul

I dont know if anyone else knows this or not but some Australian Army Mack 6x6 R models are convertible I guess you would call them cabriolet ????? I think is the term used 

I noticed some at Mack Townsville a few years ago and reckon they would make a great fire truck a bit like the NO scrub basher on here a few years ago anyway I may have to keep on dreaming but check this out 

Paul

• Like 1

A cool looking unit as I would describe it. Saw pics of them on the net before.

Just haven't understood the way of conversion those "convertibles". How could you remove the roof or upper part of the cab to make it a cabrio?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Vlad if you look close in the video bellow the window on the rear of the cab there is a join and a row of bolts that run around the rear of the cab and also across the top of the windscreen 

I dont think the row over the windscreen can be seen in the video 

All Australian Army Macks like this were converted from camel back to air bag in the 90's a OH&S thing to make it smoother for the troops

scan0001.jpgscan0002.jpg

these Macks and 155 Howitzers belonged to the local army reserve ( I think the Army reserve is like the US national guard) in the town I came from I was on honor duty to open and shut doors of the dignitaries as they arrived for the handing over to the unit as they had the freedom of the city that weekend 

These trucks made real impression on me as young man 

Paul

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mowerman said:

man thats a hefty SOB....like to have it.....not sure about the right hand drive though.lol.bob:idunno:

Bob, if you really want I can supply you with a left hand drive one.

Just should do it fast enough until ice is strong over Bering strait.

Oh, and some cash from your wallet might be involved;)

Paul, I sure noted the split along the back wall of the cab. Haven't seen the bolts in the video but thought they were there since you mentioned it.

Just wonder is there a split over the windscreen also and how the roof remove is a service operation? Might be just a kind of manufacturing design about the cab with no application to please yourself with sunny rays.  

Thanks for those old pictures. Nice to see. Do you remember the date they were done?

10 hours ago, Vladislav said:
Bob, if you really want I can supply you with a left hand drive one.
Just should do it fast enough until ice is strong over Bering strait.
Oh, and some cash from your wallet might be involved[emoji6]

Oooooooohhh I'll bet.lol...bob

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Paul, I sure noted the split along the back wall of the cab. Haven't seen the bolts in the video but thought they were there since you mentioned it.

Just wonder is there a split over the windscreen also and how the roof remove is a service operation? Might be just a kind of manufacturing design about the cab with no application to please yourself with sunny rays.  

Thanks for those old pictures. Nice to see. Do you remember the date they were done?

Vlad, not all of those Macks had the removable roof and I'm guessing most never would have been unbolted in their life. But I guess maybe the thoughts were as most cars and trucks sold in Australia when these were new didn't have air con fitted. If you were to operate in a hot environment for a extended period, the roof could be removed.

May also have been for better views when out about in jungle warfare.

As I said, I only noticed this for the first time a year or two ago at Mack Townsville (Lavarack barracks is the big Army base there) and I asked the bloke from Mack what the go was.

I had only ever seen one other picture of a R model with out a roof and it was on this forum and as a US fire truck.

I reckon that the parade was in the mid 80's as the trucks were like new. Dunno though, I have newspaper clippings of it put away somewhere.

Paul

• Like 1