Air compressor copper tube.

Coenut

Hi everyone, I have a 290 cummins in my r. It has the hard copper line going from the air compressor to a bulkhead fitting on the passenger side of the trans. From the factory Mack used an eaton style 100r5 hose from that bulkhead to the air dryer.  Will I be safe if I switch that eaton style hose to the nylon air brake tube?  I can't decide it the air air and the line will be cool enough.  It's a good ways down from the compressor.

When I bought my MH, it had a nylon brake tube in the place you describe. I changed it out... I wouldn't trust it with the heat from the compressor. Nowadays, new trucks use stainless braided lines from the compressor outlet to the air dryer. Different lengths are available off the shelf, so that's what I put on mine.

use the copper..!!!.... it can be polished...!!!!!

nylon brake tubing will melt with the heat, so for the first connection from the air compressor the teflon lined braided s/steel hose is the most common now but be very careful with radius, if you crack the teflon inside it will soon blow out..

all the hoses must meet FMCSS 106, I use FC300 SAE100R5 braided hose (blue fabric wrap), bit more money but more durable... if you go with nylon tubing it will cost less for sure and be easier to fit but from the bulkhead to the dryer I would go with braided hose just because there is still some heat there..

BC Mack

• Like 1

if the original copper pipe isn't broken

clean the gunk n carbon build up on the inside the pipe

with  rifle pull thru of a bit of barb fencin wire

then anneal the copper pipe

ANNEALING:

Copper, silver and brass can be cooled slowly in air, or quickly by quenching in water, unlike ferrous metals, such as steel, which must be cooled slowly to anneal. In this fashion, the metal is softened and prepared for further work—such as shaping, stamping, or forming.

cya

§wishy

• Like 1

Thank you for all the input. I plan on polishing the hard copper line, and going with a 100r5 style braided hose.  From the dryer to the first tank I'll use the nylon.

• Like 2