Does a 237 bolt right up to a Quadbox in a B model?

Larry (freightrain), has a thread on the swap into his B.   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

5 hours ago, Wobblin-Goblin said:

My truck is a '64 B61SX with a 711 and a Quad. Would that count as a late model 711?

Put a wrench on bolt heads, I believe a 3/8 bolt will be a 9/16 wrench, and a 7\16 bolt will be a 5/8 wrench.    terry

If you use your bellhousing then it will bolt right up.  If you try to use the twin disc-like from a 5-6 speed(deep) bellhousing it might not.  Be much easier to use your quad.  All depends on what 237 you find.  Mine was lucky and had single disc bellhousing.  Most won't and you will have to indicate and redrill the dowel pins to fit your bellhousing.

See the bellhousing?  It has lower right starter and was for single clutch.  It supposedly came from a firetruck, with how the oil dipstick was aimed I would guess it was a CF(cabover).  It's for access from the rear, not the front like an R Model would be.

IMG_20151003_143238_979_zpsurjexfmr.jpg

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The bell looked pretty original to the motor, at least paint wise.  I installed the flywheel and indicated it in and it was dead on so it was not just thrown on there.  Being a Fire truck engine what would the typical transmission be?  Still the same 5 spd as an R model with dual disc clutch?

Though the flywheel bolts were oversized so it makes you wonder what the real back story is to this motor?

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 4 weeks later...

use 1970's era quad bellhousing w/7-16 inch bolt holes in a b-81 dm800  exhaust  fits have seen 237 engine in b-61  237  (ENDT675)  EXCEEDS TORQUE RATING OF QUADRUPLEX TRANS.   will work ok if driven easy do not put all the fuel to her suddenly

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was always told that you had to be careful putting a maxidyne in front of the older quad/tri/duplex transmissions because they were not designed to handle the torque like a maxitorque trans was. The maxitorque was a triple countershaft trans to handle the added torque load. That being said, in reality it all depends on how it is driven. Drive it like you would if it was a thermodyne and dont lug it way down and you would probably never have a problem. 

• Like 1