Safe Operating Water/Coolant Temp?

The "dog box" will not cause an overheating problem. All fire apparatus is designed and tested to run at high rpm's while standing still and cannot overheat. 

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Like you said, it'll sound like a jet engine when the clutch kicks in. It's the loudest thing on most of our trucks and even the straight piped 25 kW diesel genset on the farm.

Once you get home, change your ATF transmission fluid if the transmission cooler runs a loop through the radiator. That's pretty hot for an automatic transmission and unless you're running something like Transynd (what Allison recommends, but it's a relatively new full synthetic) it's probably not too happy about being that hot.

If you're still driving on the trip home, open up the heater core hand valve and run the heat full blast, it'll help pull some heat out of the coolant system. That and whatever airflow you're getting without the radiator fan will probably keep you at a low enough temperature to get it home without stopping all of the time. At least it's cooled off some and you won't have the heat blasting in 90+ degree weather, been there!

Okay, so I gave you guys a break for a while, and thought that you deserved an update if any of you have wondered.  I'm sure many people were just sick of every little question, but, again, this was my first foray into BIG trucks, BIG engines, and in getting one in this great condition, I wanted to do my best NOT to screw it up, though I had limited funds and time to try to get some things done and to get it somewhere where I COULD get some things done!

Bottom line is, WE MADE IT!  Something like 1280 Miles in about 62 hours total, while mainly trying to hover around 40 MPH.  The hour meter in the cab showed that of those 62 hours, about 37 or 38 were functional, running hours.  There were a couple of spells of sitting still while idling while searching on-line for parts, the next rest area, the next truck stop, contacting my mother to see if our schedules would coincide for a visit on the way, same with a lady friend, checking this web site for advice, etc.  But I had scheduled leaving Griffin, GA on Saturday morning and giving myself until Thursday EARLY AM to get into Munising, MI if necessary, and I left a day late on Sunday AM and got into Munising on Tuesday night, so was very happy that I was able to get there that quickly.  The truck did as well as she could considering her heating/cooling issues/fan clutch issue.

Since being here the temperature has dipped down into the 30's some nights, and this truck seems to have no glow plug circuit/system (does that show how new to this work I am?), and so I have started the engine up at least once every 24 hours and let her run for 20-30 minutes at a time, thinking this will build up/preserve a LITTLE bit of block heat.  I am not sure if there is a block heater on it or not.  There IS a built in "male" plug in the side of the engine bay wall, that would accept a standard three prong extension cord plug, and I have not had a chance to get under and truly follow the wires to see where this all goes, but it SEEMS to go toward the rear of the truck, where there is a generator mounted in the back, as well as a fuse box and a LONG extension cord on a spool to help power things on site.  Also, mounted on one wall is an electrical box that is labeled as a battery charger.  So I am not sure if this plug is a block heater, a plug in for a battery charger, or some other electrical device.  I have, somewhere, one of those magnetic block heaters to stick on an engine in cold weather, but so far the truck is starting very well and easily on its own.  However, any knowledge/info/advice on what weather/temps to watch starting would be appreciated.

I did get around to testing the hydraulic controls in the rear for the outriggers/jacks/balancing system of the passenger side to see if the damage from the "rear-ending" that I took on the interstate did any harm to this system, and it all appears to be fine and functional, so was pleased to see that.

I am taking it out to an old buddy that is a retired diesel mechanic to kind of go through it and do some of the things we've discussed (flush radiator, change oil, "tune-up", check belts, thermostat, etc) as well as start to go through it all with me and figure out all of the switches and controls and bells and whistles on it.  Looking forward to that.  The night I got back into town I stopped at my office for a minute to check some things and left the truck running.  Upon walking back out a saw a small bit of water that seemed to be running out from under the truck.  Because I had been checking everything SO closely, I was sure it wasn't me, and I must have parked on an old puddle.  I bent down and rubbed my finger in it and smelled-coolant.  Again, having not leaked any noticeable amount the whole trip, and from the fact the fluid was cool, I assumed it was old and not from my truck.  I drove on home, about 6 miles, and then got a flashlight to take a better look.  Well, it WAS coming from me.  I am not sure what the part is called, but the lower radiator hose appears to run into it, and it looks like a larger sized "pipe" or "reservoir" or something, that may simply be a solid piece of tube to allow the coolant to proceed back into the engine block?  It is bigger around than the radiator hose, and does have a spigot on the bottom (seems to be lowest point on the cooling system, so possibly this is the place best from which to empty the system for a coolant change/flush?  It is metal of some sort, and shows the green patina of years of holding (and possibly lightly leaking) water.  It was leaking a steady drip, though not even a trickle-maybe one drop every 5-10 seconds.  And I have checked the system since-it seems to be holding fluid fine when sitting still, and thus, is likely a typical little pinhole style leak that only "produces" under pressure.  However, the fact that it has any leak at all, in this position, while still holding fluid, etc, makes me VERY eager to repair it, so that is also something we are going to look at when I get it out to my mechanic's.  I am attaching a pic of this part so that anyone that recognizes it can tell me more about what they may know about it and if there is anything particularly tricky I am getting into in working on it.  Or even what it might be called so I can try to find a replacement?  If it truly is only a reservoir/dispersal tube, I imagine one could be fabbed pretty easily, but if it is something terribly complex and intricate, would be good to know as well.

So, that's the latest.  Thanks again to all for all of the advice/input/help.  I have loved the journey and the adventure, though I have to admit, I am actually considering selling this truck.  Too many people have mentioned, and rightly so, that it is in pretty much collector shape and a collector's item with the low original miles and hours, etc.  I need it to be a functional "work truck" with the ladder height to help me work on an old building I bought.  I tend to be very FUNCTIONALLY oriented, and don't often worry much about appearances, and I really feel I may be a BAD owner for this truck and may waste her potential/beauty/amazing condition while using her as a tool.  So I am kind of torn on that front.  Going to all the trouble to get her here formed a "bond" for me (I do that with all my vehicles!), but at the same time, it also made me realize she needs to be appreciated as a historic piece, possibly, and not just USED as a ladder and let her get all paint-splattered and chipped and rusty.  But, for now, I am just going to keep working on her, get her as good as possible, and rent an indoor storage area for her for the winter.

Thanks again for reading, and for any and all info you have and can provide!  Have a great day!

Vic

Coolant Tube Leak.jpg

If you do sell the Mack, you have had an interesting adventure with it!  The picture looks like it could be a water heater for the block.  It has been leaking for a while.  There are no glow plugs.  Tracing wires, hoses, etc. will get you some answers as to what everything does.  It sure will be easier dealing with problems at home.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Glad you made it home OK!!! I was interesting to follow your adventure as your writing abilities are expert enough to make us feel like we were right with you.

4 hours ago, j hancock said:

Tracing wires, hoses, etc. will get you some answers as to what everything does. 

As Jim says your learning curve will rise as you explore. Depending on what you are going to use the ladder for, you may be right in selling it to a fire apparatus collector? As far as working on your building have you kept an eye out on auctions of Asplunda and utility companies for an old bucket truck?? 

Brocky

Hi, Guys!  Thanks for the positive input.  And thanks for your patience with my writing so much at times.  My Mom was an English teacher, and I do have a bit of a "writer's bug," but sometimes I know I OVERWRITE and people get sick of reading the big posts, so thanks for the kind words!

As for the building I am working on and the reason for getting this truck, well, I have kept an eye open for bucket trucks and book trucks, etc, for some time, but it seems landscapers and contractors tend to buy them right up, AND seem to have more money than I, so I can never find anything that I can afford.  Surprisingly, even in its condition, this truck sold for an amazingly low price-I think because of the age many actual fire departments can't use it or something.  So, one reason I got it was because it was so affordable.  Also, as you will see in the next attached picture, the building I am working on is TALL, and thus, many old utility trucks are not tall enough to really help me out.  I have had to measure and eyeball and estimate different places and floors and levels, but I am guessing that the tallest peaks are at least 93' tall, and the ornaments on top of the peaks are about 4' tall as well, so...

As many of you have seen, I did name the truck, MacKenzie because it contains the word Mack, and the old building is Patrick, because it was an old St. Patrick's Catholic Church.  So they, for now, are a couple, Patrick and MacKenzie, or Pat and Mac.

I am definitely looking forward to, as you guys said, actually having the time, and my friend's expert help, to trace what all the controls do and what does and doesn't work.  I know how to work the ladder, but many other things are still kind of unknown!

Thanks again, everyone.  Will add info as it comes!  Happy Mack'in'! 

Church Sunny Front.jpg

Find the local SPAAMFAA chapter and ask if any of the members have experience with an Aerialscope. This, or was, a very common truck and the chances of finding someone who is an experienced operator is pretty good. He/she should be able to help you out with what's what on the truck.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!