Ford wiith Thonton Drive dual axle.

j hancock

Wow! That's as bizarre a twin screw setup as I've ever seen! Axles appear to be Vacuum operated 2 spds,is that a "brownie" or similar auxiliary between the 2 axles? How many gears in all? Chassis appears to be f5 or f6 so limited weight carrying capacity why all the axles and springs?,what was the application? Speaking of bizarre,anyone old enough to remember the short lived belt driven tags?

39 minutes ago, BillyT said:

Wow! That's as bizarre a twin screw setup as I've ever seen! Axles appear to be Vacuum operated 2 spds,is that a "brownie" or similar auxiliary between the 2 axles? How many gears in all? Chassis appears to be f5 or f6 so limited weight carrying capacity why all the axles and springs?,what was the application? Speaking of bizarre,anyone old enough to remember the short lived belt driven tags?

Agree on vac shifted two spd-had same question.   as for "brownie"-doesn't drive shaft go into that "box"?-which then drives axles???

Agree on a lot of spring weight but then again look how narrow they are.

As for belt driven tags, when I started (1966) my company had a bunch of single axle B models that pulled 6500/7200 gallon tandem tanks.  Weight laws changed and instead of buying new, we had Page & Page belt conversions.  They were not around too long.

• Like 1

Good point Red horse,so that gear case is just to connect the two axles,doesn't ad either reduction or overdrive?I did note the narrowness of the spring leaves,have to wonder how much more a larger (but low spec'd ) chassis with conventional  full screw and air brakes would cost? Compared to the conversion?

Ford original truck 2 speed rear was cable shifted, the rears in the photo are Vacuum  shifted. Look close the drive into the rears is Fords Torque Tube set up with a sprocket on the shaft for the drive chain to spin the rears.

Some where packed from our move is the sales literature / price sheet on that tandem conversion.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

"Silent Drive" and "Transpec" were a few. Tony Champion has a H model I think with Belt drive on Page and page suspension. 

bf47b707-5e9c-441d-ae12-020a.jpgbelt drive.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE