Solo clutches

Think that's what they call them; self adjust; mine is showing (according to what I've been told) is about 1/2 worn out; indicater deal halfway in the slot; its slipping in hard pull; good free travel & looks good throw out bearing to brake; was told that some have mashed clutch & set it indicater back to new & it readjust itself & works fine; then said they've done that & wouldn't pull out of shop??? 

Anyone have any experience with them; I know I haven't liked where it releases, but don't know how to fix

thanks

All I can say is my new CX in 2000 had a Solo clutch, worked good till about 400,000 then quit adjusting. Could not break it loose or move the indicator. When my free play totally was gone I pulled it out and put an easy pedal that I could adjust manually. In hindsight, if I had another new Solo I think spray lube would be part of my PM service to try and keep it working throughout its useful life.

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

All I can say is my new CX in 2000 had a Solo clutch, worked good till about 400,000 then quit adjusting. Could not break it loose or move the indicator. When my free play totally was gone I pulled it out and put an easy pedal that I could adjust manually. In hindsight, if I had another new Solo I think spray lube would be part of my PM service to try and keep it working throughout its useful life.

This one has 250,000.

4 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

I suggest you contact the people who design and produce the Solo clutch........Eaton.

The toll-free number for the Roadranger Help Line is 1-800-826-4357.

http://www.roadranger.com/rr/ProductsServices/ProductsbyCategory/Clutches/MT-Clutches/Solo-Advantage/index.htm#tabs-6

No point in talking to them simply put in an easy pedal and move on never had good luck with them

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fjh said:

No point in talking to them simply put in an easy pedal and move on never had good luck with them

And yet all the customers I sold Solos to were extremely pleased with them. If you were having a bad experience with them, you should have contacted Eaton so they could get into it.

A famous local chef once told me, if you have a bad meal but don't say anything to the restaurant owner about it, then you're just as much in the wrong as that owner is.

• Like 1

True enough!  How ever will they listen?  But  can't hurt to try I guess! Having said that my experience with the design is  the same as that of 1965 in just about every case  they work well  enough over the road vocational not so much !  only ever seen one or two reach life expectancy!  1/2 way down the slot  is normally when they cease to work ! My experience! Bitch at the eaton Rep and he shrugs we've been working on that! That was  10 years ago ( there abouts) nothing has changed it still happens lots! However we have had the odd easy pedal freeze up as of late maybe its a sign of the times !:angry:

11 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

And yet all the customers I sold Solos to were extremely pleased with them. If you were having a bad experience with them, you should have contacted Eaton so they could get into it.

A famous local chef once told me, if you have a bad meal but don't say anything to the restaurant owner about it, then you're just as much in the wrong as that owner is.

I'll call & see what they say.

But I never had any luck with this before. Most customer service is a waste in my book. Company should use that money elsewhere or reduce prices; that would be lot better customer service to me.

Mack's first question is did you buy the truck new?

(Another experience) told them no it was bought used from a Mack dealer. Mack said since it was bought used, they couldn't help.

Junk. Solo clutches are intended for long haul OTR companies who has zero maintenance control when the steering wheel holder can't figure out that they have no free play. At the dealer I work at, we finally got it thru our sales dept to spec only easy pedal clutches. And we only put Solo's back in if warranty or customers request. They never work right and 9 times out of 10, easy pedals, when driven correctly, get double the mileage (similar vocation) as a junk solo clutch.

I can't say what Volvo Group does when you call their "customer satisfaction" hotline at +1 (866) 298-6586.

But Eaton, like Cummins, needs the business because the foreign aggressors are currently eating up their market share.

So please do give Eaton a call. Ask how you can connect with the field engineer for your state. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

The biggest problem with either solo or manual is most trucks are under spec for torque rating of engine. The clutch should be rated at 200 ft lbs more than the engine puts out at peak torque. We had solos in our OTR's 35 of them crap-ola. We run 550 hp 1850 torque series 60's. The only clutch I will install is the 208925-25 Eaton rated at 2050 ft lbs. We have a lot of trucks with 600,000 on those clutches.

The other thing is I don't depend on the driver to tell us in the shop the clutch needs adjusting. We check all trucks at every short and long service which is every 7,500 miles. I automatically check and adjust as needed.

Truck Shop

• Like 1

One ping only

4 minutes ago, fjh said:

I check the clutch every time I open the door it's a habit I like to no what I'm stepping into to drive !

Yea

im the 1 that drives it

haven't liked it since I've had it; where it released; but no adjustment; I've driven manual tran. all my life & don't ever remember slipping 1 or having 1 fail

On July 23, 2016 at 1:43 PM, 70mackMB said:

Junk. Solo clutches are intended for long haul OTR companies who has zero maintenance control when the steering wheel holder can't figure out that they have no free play. At the dealer I work at, we finally got it thru our sales dept to spec only easy pedal clutches. And we only put Solo's back in if warranty or customers request. They never work right and 9 times out of 10, easy pedals, when driven correctly, get double the mileage (similar vocation) as a junk solo clutch.

Exactly  !

same here sales department 

NOTE. No solo and  no air assist un less the customer insists 

period !

• Like 1

On 7/24/2016 at 4:43 AM, 70mackMB said:

"They never work right"

That's a pretty strong statement. And not my experience.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with an easy-pedal, but there are customers who want to pay up for the automatic adjustment convenience of the Solo.

Did your service manager contact the Eaton district service rep for your area, have him come by, and discuss your the issues? That's the Eaton rep's job, and you should make use of him. Every new truck you sell with Eaton components, plus Eaton spare parts, indirectly pays his salary.

If your dealer decided to walk around the issue by having the sales dept. avoid Solos, rather than confront the perceived issue by contacting Eaton and having them resolve it to your satisfaction..............

On July 22, 2016 at 7:34 PM, kscarbel2 said:

I suggest you contact the people who design and produce the Solo clutch........Eaton.

The toll-free number for the Roadranger Help Line is 1-800-826-4357.

http://www.roadranger.com/rr/ProductsServices/ProductsbyCategory/Clutches/MT-Clutches/Solo-Advantage/index.htm#tabs-6

Called

he said warranty was 3yrs or 350,000 miles

If they had a case they would request dealer to check clearances & then remove clutch & take pictures

he then stated that might try WD40 to free it up & also had a tech say they've used flat chiesel with air hammer to break loose

also stated to move indicater back to new position if could & let it readjust after using the WD40

My self I have not to much bad to say about the easy pedal other than they would have been better off leaving the original adjusting platform

(TAB and bolt lock ) setup  in place. the winder affair  is mediocre at best! The tab and bolt were just fine and were quite predictable  and much easier to deal with if the adjuster did get tight! They went backwards when this changed the adjuster and further back with solo in certain applications 

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 1965 said:

Called

he said warranty was 3yrs or 350,000 miles

If they had a case they would request dealer to check clearances & then remove clutch & take pictures

he then stated that might try WD40 to free it up & also had a tech say they've used flat chiesel with air hammer to break loose

also stated to move indicator back to new position if could & let it readjust after using the WD40

Okay. I have to say for a wear item like a clutch, I think 3-years or 350,000 miles is very reasonable.

Having said that, Eaton just extended that clutch warranty to an incredible 5-years / 500,000 miles. You can't beat that anywhere else.

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/46131-eaton-extends-manual-transmission-clutch-warranties/

8 hours ago, fjh said:

WD 40  My god thats a good fix!

It is a good fix. What's the problem? 

WD-40  ('Water Displacement, 40th formula')..........a still unmatched superb product for some 63 years born out of a fascinating need, protecting the outer skin of Atlas Missiles in their launch silos from corrosion. But god had nothing to do with it.....it was strictly an invention of mankind.

http://wd40.com/cool-stuff/history