Spicer aux trans

Just bought my first Mack today! 1980  Superliner with 400 cummins and spicer 5x4. Trying to find some info on the aux trans. The shift pattern is backwards. Runs and shifts great but high gear is where first should be, up and to the left. Don't have the truck at home yet so no trans numbers just hoping someone knows off the top of their head. Thanks

In 1980 or 1981 I drove two superliners with the 400 cummins  with 5x4 transmission and both came from the factory with out the 4 speed hooked up the dealer had to do the linkage and mount the stick in the cab . some mechanics use two long shift rails and some use four shorter shift rails with a mount in the middle when setting up the linkage it depends what is in the way .

10 hours ago, steve p said:

never never ever run 1st in the main and lo lo you will tear the aux a part with the torque, use 2nd in the main if you want to use lo lo if your pulling a lot of pudding

Not trying to hijacked OP's thread but does this apply to all brownies or just some models?

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

My 82 Superliner has 400 Cummins and 5x4 Spicers.  Main box is a direct 5 speed( not sure of model), aux is a 1241 air shift 4 speed. Everything is progressive until 4th in main box.     Hauling logs here in the mountains I needed to use 1st and lo ( it isn't a deep deep lo) a fair amount of the time, and never had problems. Maybe that is do to it being a twin counter shaft tranny?

• 3 weeks later...
On June 8, 2016 at 9:43 AM, david wild said:

Don't run Aux trans in high side with heavy load, they won't hold up, direct and under for loads, over for running light and empty, there is a bearing in there that is too light. been there done that. 

Yep, I just got finished rebuilding a Spicer 1241c where that bearing was trashed and took the mainshaft and input shaft along with it ($1,500 for the two shafts, $20 for the bearing).

Also, you'll notice when you take the top off that the OD gear is about half the width of all the others.

do you know there is a heavy duty bearing kit ,it has fully loaded bearings instead of caged bearings ,the cages break up and allow the countershafts to try and climb over the input and output shafts ends up breaking the gear case. I paid $1200 aus dollars just for the rebuild kit, just one gear was $900

In the Spicer 1241, my problem bearing was where the input and mainshaft go together. I don't see how you could change it out with anything else without some major machine work. There just isn't enough room to put anything else.

your talking about the pocket bearing , not very often they fail ,how was the input, output main bearings ? if your drive flanges come loose and lose their preload ,the shafts will move axialy  it will cause premature wear on the bearing. another reason  the pocket  bearing fails is because oil changes in the aux haven't been done at the recommended mileage ,where the bearing sits acts like a sump it collects all the metal particles and clogs up the bearing race then the bearing runs dry then we have failure .if you change the bearing out your self you would have noticed the metal particles were packed in there really hard,  oil changes must be done regularly to flush all the shit out.  that's my 2 cents worth on this     steve