I have a 1964 B67 that against the governor, 2000 RPM, runs 52 MPH.  The truck is equipped with a 4.25 rear end.  I want to run 65 MPH.  The speed, RPM, ratio formula tells me that 65 at 1800 RPM needs  3.40 gearing.  With a 711 engine pulling a 1 car trailer is there power to pull this gearing and is this ratio available?

Thanks   Richard

Do you already have an overdrive equipped transmission?  That would be a viable option if not.  I would assume you have plenty of power to a light load at 65...particularly if you get enough forward gear options like in a quadbox.  Someone else here can give a more qualified opinion and info on available rear ratios

Sounds like you have a direct transmission.  My triplex(single over) with 4.62 gears would go just about 65 mph flat out.  You will have to change rear end housing to get a better ratio.  I think 4.00 was the fastest you could get in a B model double reduction.  I would find an overdrive transmission, that will get you near 70 mph with your present ratio.  Right now I have same triplex, 4.10 gears and it will go about 72 mph in OD.  65 mph is about 1800 rpm in OD.

You will have plenty enough power to pull a single car trailer.  My trailer is 14K lbs and it will go 65+ easily.  Get it on hills and it starts to suffer, but in all not a problem running with traffic.  (I've had it 80+ mph on level ground-my aux box gives me 85 mph).

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

If your going of the speedo check to make sure it's correct.   Something dosent quite seem right.   Mine had a 4.60 rear with direct 10 speed tranny and 10.00 x 22 drive tires and according to GPS it would run around 55.  My 295/75/22.5 steering tires measure 39" with 80psi

New to Mack trucks.  Tires are 11-22.5,  41 inches tall.  Transmission is 5 and 2.  Last drove with GPS, guess it was wrong.  Installed speedometer gear so now speedometer  works.  Driving this weekend to ATHS show,  will check to se if possibly not shifting out of low range.      Thanks for all replies                                          Richard 

• 3 weeks later...