925 hp V-8

jbanx

I have seen that boat for sale on line for a while. Nice boat and really moves. There are a few guys here that have marine E9 V8's out of boats. They are dependable engines but it is all in how you run them and maintain them. Parts are available still as well as rebuild kits but are not cheap. There are no new engines anymore as they have not been produced in almost 20 years. Only issue in a boat is who is going to work on it? Most Mack Truck shops have not seen E9's in years, but there are a few shops that still have qualified guys to work on them. 

Try and find a spare truck engine for parts, all the big components are the same.  If something major happens you will be glad you did. Parts are not cheap but most diesel stuff is not these days. If you get the boat and decide to repower it I would be interested in the engines.

56 minutes ago, fullfuel01 said:

pay attention, E9 in trucks and boats have many different components. block are the same with crank and probably connecting rod and piston but it's almost it. heads are different, manifold, turbo and so on..

The big components are the same and are the ones I want spares of as well. A lot of the other smaller components are all different but I did think heads where the same too. What is the difference between marine and truck heads? How many of the E9's were actually installed in boats? I have heard it was as low as 20-30 engines. If that was the case there was a lot of money lost in just the tooling.

I will go with fullfuel on the marine E9, He has a 925hp out of a boat. I wanted to get it off him for drag racing. There is a lot of liquid cools stuff on them and that all helped to make horsepower. 

I know enough to be dangerous about gasoline boat engines though. All the exhaust manifolds are water cooled from salt or fresh water. If it is a fresh water boat chances are it is an open system, water is first run through the engine then cool the exhaust. In a salt water boat the engine is a closed system with glycol and a heat exchanger, exhaust is cooled though sea strainer water pump circuit.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fullfuel01 said:

pay attention, E9 in trucks and boats have many different components. block are the same with crank and probably connecting rod and piston but it's almost it. heads are different, manifold, turbo and so on..

Why would the heads be different?

glenn akers

1 hour ago, theakerstwo said:

Why would the heads be different?

I think that the difference between a truck  and a boat engine is the Cam and Valves are different so it will produce more torque.

5 hours ago, AZB755V8 said:

I have seen that boat for sale on line for a while. Nice boat and really moves. There are a few guys here that have marine E9 V8's out of boats. They are dependable engines but it is all in how you run them and maintain them. Parts are available still as well as rebuild kits but are not cheap. There are no new engines anymore as they have not been produced in almost 20 years. Only issue in a boat is who is going to work on it? Most Mack Truck shops have not seen E9's in years, but there are a few shops that still have qualified guys to work on them. 

Try and find a spare truck engine for parts, all the big components are the same.  If something major happens you will be glad you did. Parts are not cheap but most diesel stuff is not these days. If you get the boat and decide to repower it I would be interested in the engines.

What will you offer for the engines, the attachment in my 1st post is a picture. 1 engine has 1000hrs and the other has 3000hrs that is according to the sales sheet. They might have more than that if the sheet is the original sale sheet, I should hear from the broker in the mourning 3-17-16 with an update to it.

I am no expert but have been around boats my entire adult life.  I forget who marinized the mack engines but I am pretty sure the engines had a poor reputation because of a crappy job marinizing the engine.  The last thing I would want on a boat is an engine that has no service network.  If the boat will always stay in the same place and you have a mechanic or you can work on them that would make ownership a little easier, but I would look elsewhere.  Boatdeisel.com will probably have someone on there that knows about the marine mack engines

6 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

Alright it's morning in the mountain time zone where's the update? 😆 

The engines are as advertised. They are spotless, well taken care of and are run frequently. The boat was not used as a charter boat.   The broker says they were rebuilt 15 yrs ago but it sounds like the boat was repowered with Daytona Marine engines a Mack Marine dealer, because 15-16 yrs ago is when Mack started or was in the marine division.

The broker has been unable to get me the serial #'s for the engines and hull so I could look it up. My broker isn't the listing agent for the vessel so he is having to go to that person for info, plus it is a big boat show this weekend he is trying to get ready for so more info should come next week.

56 minutes ago, mackncheese said:

I am no expert but have been around boats my entire adult life.  I forget who marinized the mack engines but I am pretty sure the engines had a poor reputation because of a crappy job marinizing the engine.  The last thing I would want on a boat is an engine that has no service network.  If the boat will always stay in the same place and you have a mechanic or you can work on them that would make ownership a little easier, but I would look elsewhere.  Boatdeisel.com will probably have someone on there that knows about the marine mack engines

Edited by jbanx
added a comment

I think there was more Marine e9 motors produced than what people think.  I know American Marine or whatever marinized some.  I think all their motors were painted white.  Daytona e9 mack marines are the aqua green/blue motors.  I know they also made a 2 piece piston for the marine motors.  There was a truck parts warehouse across the street from that kept odd ball truck parts anything from motors to cabs.  Macks, Volvo, Ford, sterling, etc had different parts in this warehouse.  Long story short the warehouse shut down and sold to some local business guys with all parts in them.  There was several complete brand new Marine motors.  Dick Bonner ended up buying them all.  Makes me sick to this day to know they were there and I didnt find out until they were gone

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:48 AM, brutus998 said:

I think there was more Marine e9 motors produced than what people think.  I know American Marine or whatever marinized some.  I think all their motors were painted white. .  I know they also made a 2 piece piston for the marine motors.  There was a truck parts warehouse across the street from that kept odd ball truck parts anything from motors to cabs.  Macks, Volvo, Ford, sterling, etc had different parts in this warehouse.  Long story short the warehouse shut down and sold to some local business guys with all parts in them.  There was several complete brand new Marine motors.  Dick Bonner ended up buying them all.  Makes me sick to this day to know they were there and I didnt find out until they were gone.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:48 AM, brutus998 said:

I think there was more Marine e9 motors produced than what people think.  I know American Marine or whatever marinized some.  I think all their motors were painted white.  Daytona e9 mack marines are the aqua green/blue motors.  I know they also made a 2 piece piston for the marine motors.  There was a truck parts warehouse across the street from that kept odd ball truck parts anything from motors to cabs.  Macks, Volvo, Ford, sterling, etc had different parts in this warehouse.  Long story short the warehouse shut down and sold to some local business guys with all parts in them.  There was several complete brand new Marine motors.  Dick Bonner ended up buying them all.  Makes me sick to this day to know they were there and I didnt find out until they were gone

Edited by jbanx
added a comment in wrong place