Trouble finding info on E9

I have been looking at an 86 RW713 with an E9 in it that has a knock in the motor. I can't find anyone in my area (southeast WI) that's has one or that even wants to do work to one. Are they that bad to work on? Or are the parts cost too much or are they hard to come by? Any information about them would be great

Yup pricey Parts Are getting scarce And can be anything from a bad injector to a rod bearing to a dropped valve seat!

All expensive with the exception of an injector You get the parts and send it up to Canada here I'd Love to work on it for ya!:wub:

LOVE V8's

Yep, They are all of the above. You don't need to bother with something like that. I am sure there is someone here that wouldn't mind get their hands on it. Let us know if you decide to pass on it.  Thats funny I just got 3 E9's from Canada coming down here. LOL...

Hey, if you want an E9 to run like a scolded dog and purr like a kitten at the same time, contact Dale Frances over next to Cleveland Ohio.  He rebuilt our E9.  I don't know how many horses it has, but twisted the drive shaft yesterday.  She just wont quit.  I don't know where all the power comes from.  He did an excellent job on an old engine that the pistons were swapping piston holes before we took it to him. 

The Mack v8's have there own ring tones, like none other engine.  Nothing sounds any sweeter at 1600 under a load.   They are a good engine.  Just not many left.   Risky to drop valve seats.  If you trade for it, take it to someone experienced with them.

Just checked ours out.  Dont seem to be anthing wrong with the drive shaft, but she started 'wobbling' after i went from high 2nd to low 3rd and gouged on it with 48000 on.  (12 speed) Hope it is carrier bearing and not rear end problems.

I'll give you an example of what you may run into.  I'm putting one of mine back together and I wanted a new oil pump due to a spun bearing.  Called up Mack and was told they do not have any left. So I asked if Re-Mack would rebuild mine if I sent it in. NO!  They will no longer rebuild them either.  So something that is very simple like changing an oil pump turns into searching for a replacement.  

I just cant see someone owning a E9 trying to run it everyday to make a living.    

I'll give you an example of what you may run into.  I'm putting one of mine back together and I wanted a new oil pump due to a spun bearing.  Called up Mack and was told they do not have any left. So I asked if Re-Mack would rebuild mine if I sent it in. NO!  They will no longer rebuild them either.  So something that is very simple like changing an oil pump turns into searching for a replacement.  

Especially if you "gouge on it" in low gears and brag about driveline damage. Not the type of driving to preserve a classic. And I know a Dale Francis rebuild is not inexpensive.

1 hour ago, Superdog913 said:

I've heard Dale was the guy to call. How big of a wallet do I need for his work?

The prices that he charges are fair compared to other shops. No more than another engine shop with a fraction of the experience with E9's. The parts that I got there were not any more than Mack or really PEI. He has all the parts and does most of the work himself. Nice guy doesn't BS and just says the way it is. He is more into bigger jobs and not just selling parts without labor. He makes a living not a killing off E9's. Yes you can spend $100K on a 2500HP plus engine or A few grand on rebuilding heads and or injection pump, injectors with him.

I agree it was bad driving!  And I don't mean to sound like Im bragging about the drive line damage, just about the E9 and the work Dale did for us.   And I do feel bad not, to mention the look I got from our son when I told him what happened.  Im not use to anything more than 300 horses.  This rw is my sons truck.  Mine is a 1968 Dodge 900 with a slant 6 Cummins and a RTO913. I can gouge on it and not much happens!  But it gets me there.

I also agree you don't want an E9 now days to make a living.  They need preserving.  Trucks are an evil necessity on our farm.  I think I put about 5000 miles on the '68 last year, but it was a lot of fun and we get a lot of looks and questions at the truck stop.  IDK.  I would rather drive the classics than see them set in a garage just to look at.

The post from Big Dog is exactly right.  I feel fortunate and thankful to Dale for helping us ole farmers out while there was a racing V8 being assembled beside our E9.  He is a great guy, and a family operation.  And very busy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alleghneyag said:

I agree it was bad driving!  And I don't mean to sound like Im bragging about the drive line damage, just about the E9 and the work Dale did for us.   And I do feel bad not, to mention the look I got from our son when I told him what happened.  Im not use to anything more than 300 horses.  This rw is my sons truck.  Mine is a 1968 Dodge 900 with a slant 6 Cummins and a RTO913. I can gouge on it and not much happens!  But it gets me there.

I also agree you don't want an E9 now days to make a living.  They need preserving.  Trucks are an evil necessity on our farm.  I think I put about 5000 miles on the '68 last year, but it was a lot of fun and we get a lot of looks and questions at the truck stop.  IDK.  I would rather drive the classics than see them set in a garage just to look at.

The post from Big Dog is exactly right.  I feel fortunate and thankful to Dale for helping us ole farmers out while there was a racing V8 being assembled beside our E9.  He is a great guy, and a family operation.  And very busy. 

Pictures ?

12 hours ago, BGarofalo said:

Do you want me to ask my

mack parts boys down under? We used the e9 until the very late 90's. Might be just worth a question?

1 hour ago, Superdog913 said:

Where is the serial number on the V8? I can't seem to find it and the plate on the valve cover doesn't match what the VIN indicated 

Serial # on all Mack V8's is on the right front oil pan rail stamped on a machined pad. Think all other Mack I6 engines have it in the same place too. Not all engines have the same serial# as the frame or door.

Valve cover info is for emissions and valve lash settings.

The valve cover tag says the motor is a 400hp built in 1982 but according to my local Mack dealer the VIN tells them the truck is a 1986 with a 450hp. I'm just trying to find out if the valve cover were replaced or was it repowered or maybe the door was replaced. Just trying to find out what numbers are right

When the truck was a money maker it really didn't matter what it took to keep it on the road and not sitting. The engine could be the one installed at birth or the valve cover could have been damaged and replaced. The fact is if you are getting it to have some fun and preserve it for a while that is good enough for most of us here. As for original engine, all of my trucks do not have the original engines. Some guys know it and some don't but it is always a conversation starter.

At any show I have never been i've never been asked: if it had the original engine it would be better or worth more. Every one smiles and says it is really cool to just see it still running and thanks for bringing it out.  

If you get it and repair this engine just have the pump done. It is only a small turn of a screw to go from 400 to 450hp. injectors and turbo should not have to be changes for that increase. If you are not pulling anything you will never feel a difference. It is a great ride ether way and still on the road... have fun.

• Like 1