1970 R Mack

cf685f

I looked at a 1970 R Mack. It had no front brakes. Where brakes optional on the front wheels back then?

Also excuse the lack of correct terminology, it had an underslung springs. Is that a good setup or should I look for something different. Hoping to pull a trailer with a show truck/tractor on it. Wasn't sure about the brakes, and I want to make sure it was worth looking at.

I looked at a 1970 R Mack. It had no front brakes. Where brakes optional on the front wheels back then?

Also excuse the lack of correct terminology, it had an underslung springs. Is that a good setup or should I look for something different. Hoping to pull a trailer with a show truck/tractor on it. Wasn't sure about the brakes, and I want to make sure it was worth looking at.

front brakes were optional then however they are mandatory for highway use now .as for the springs do you mean front or rear

Mack had available inverted camel back suspension and it will do ok for your hobby trucks and tractors. No front brakes shouldn't be a deal breaker if the rest of the truck checks out. Quite a few older trucks at shows with no front brakes. Back in the day, single axles trucks had to have brakes front and rear. Front brakes on a tandem were optional.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

You don't have to have steering axle brakes on any tandem axle tractor built before Jan.1.1979,if it were a single axle or a straight truck,you;d have to have them.the underslung ,or inverted Camelback was pretty popular spec for highway tractors in the time frame,was supposed to offer a softer ride than standard Camelback

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the reply's. If things come together I may make an offer. Nice running truck, motors been replaced as it has a 237 with a tip turbine on it, from my notes a 70 should of had a ole 237. My only reservation is that it has significant rust on the drip edge the whole way around the cab. Im not sure how hard that would be to repair.

As long as it is not rust out not rusted out (larger than a pin hole) easy fix, wire wheel or sand blast and coat with primer sealer than with automotive seam sealer paint. If it is more than that than maybe some work.

If you decided to pass post it here someone may want it.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."