Mechanical Back-up Alarm

SMFire History

Most likely none other than the guy on the back step operating a buzzer in the cab by pushing a button mounted near the grab rail. One stop; two go; three back up. It was their job to make sure no one was in the way.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Thanks for the replies.

I was under the impression that there was a mechanical bell version I could install on the inside of the wheel. We do have the buzzer which was used when it was in service but would like something audible for its new life as a fundraiser/special event rig. It will be around kids a lot and a bell would be nice.

We would just need one.

If you are concerned about safety during public events I would put a back up camera on the truck. The cameras are quite small so they will not take away from the truck's appearance and the screen can be set up so it is removable if you want to keep a factory look in the cab.

I use one for the front of my 52 to help me load the truck on the trailer. Just remember to hook it up correctly; I ran a separate wire to the control unit directly from the battery and isolated the unit from the truck to keep it from shorting out.

As for the back up alarm I'd go with a modern unit since that is what today's folks associate with a truck backing up. And the wheel bells are immensely annoying as they rattle and ding all the time.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

As for the back up alarm I'd go with a modern unit since that is what today's folks associate with a truck backing up. And the wheel bells are immensely annoying as they rattle and ding all the time.

At a local show ENFD's 1952 MACK has a Back-up Bell, it actually attracted kids and some adults to the rear of the truck. Most people and kids today associate a bell with the Ice Cream Truck not a unit backing up.

I also would go with a modern Back Up Alarm. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The ENFD 1952 has marine sealed momentary toggle switch (spring loaded so when it is released it automatically shuts off) mounted so when the gear shift lever goes into reverse the switch is pushed on by the gear lever it self. It is under the floor board on an L bracket so it is not obtrusive. Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

If we can add an unobtrusive screen to the cab then I think the backup camera is a great idea as well.

I mounted the screen to a small piece of plywood which I attached a couple of pieces of flat stock bent into a hook shape to hang over the windshield. I plug it into the control box, hang it on the windshield while I load the truck, and then disconnect it and stash it away when I'm done.

My Gabrielle MACK parts guru told me about these. If you have reverse lights this is simple and easy install. 87 decibels

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&productId=29247

post-3242-0-34679800-1451588636.jpg

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE