Pierce manufacturing recalling 910 fire trucks

kscarbel2

Associated Press / November 18, 2015

Oshkosh subsidiary Pierce Manufacturing is recalling 910 fire trucks because the wheels could come loose while being driven.

The recall covers the Arrow XT, Dash, Enforcer, Lance and Quantum models from the 2006 and 2007 model years. Boots that cover the ball joints can rip and cause the joints to fail, increasing the risk of a crash.

The recall comes after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration began investigating the trucks in March.

The agency received a complaint in January from a fire department that a driver had trouble steering a truck and never felt in control. Mechanics found problems in the ball joints, which connect wheels to the steering system. No injuries were reported.

Dealers will inspect trucks for torn boots and replace worn ball joints starting Nov. 30.

Related reading:

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/39143-us-safety-agency-probes-pierce-fire-truck-steering-problems/?hl=pierce

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/37610-pierce-fire-trucks-recalled-after-wheel-falls-off-portland-ladder-truck/?hl=pierce

http://koin.com/2014/11/03/pierce-recalls-fire-trucks-when-wheel-falls-off/

http://www.abc2news.com/news/region/anne-arundel-county/anne-arundel-county-pulls-fire-apparatus-out-of-service

This is absolutely fucking hilarious. If you are involved in the fire service, and you regularly follow the fire apparatus manufacturing circles, this story makes you giggle happy giggles (if you don't drink the kool aid. If you do drink the kool aid, this makes you weep sad, sad tears.)

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

This is absolutely fucking hilarious. If you are involved in the fire service, and you regularly follow the fire apparatus manufacturing circles, this story makes you giggle happy giggles (if you don't drink the kool aid. If you do drink the kool aid, this makes you weep sad, sad tears.)

Non fire service guy here but always interested. So what is the story? My first thought is this should be a matter of good PM. Boot has as hole? Hmnn-grit gets in-replace it before you have a bigger problem. Or is Pierce noted for this? Are these trucks IFS? I have read of wheels coming off in this area.

Pierce is known in the fire service to be somewhat of "The Mercedes Benz" of firetrucks.....They are the truck that everyone wants to have but not the one that everyone can afford. The Kool-Aid drinkers think that Pierce Fire Apparatus are the "Second Coming of Christ." Pierce thinks the same of their own products.

Many firefighters think that unless if they have a Pierce firetruck, they cannot possibly do their jobs because the fire will not go out unless the firetruck parked out front is a Pierce. It's been alleged that if you listened to a Pierce salesman or company representative, they would tell you the same. Many volunteer companies buy Pierces with all of the bells and whistles because they are the trucks that win the parade trophies.

Those of us who are financially responsible to our taxpayers opt to buy our rigs from the "Ford and Chevy" firetruck builders because that is the fiscally responsible thing to do- buy a truck that is cheaper, just as well built that does the job.

They don't build a bad product, in fact they build a fine product. But they and their loyal, kool-aid drinking customers/followers need to learn that they are NOT the only truck in town.

This issue is related to their in-house IFS. (Pierce is owned by Oshkosh, so I assume the IFS to be an Oshkosh design or a modified Oshkosh design.)

• Like 1

Good info guys- now I have my tax payer hat on. so what are the best "bang for the buck" pumpers these days?

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/39960-our-new-rescuepumper-under-construction/

Red Horse, there are many manufacturers out there that build a good product for a decent price. You may or may not have seen this thread. This is our newest rig, delivered this past August. It is what we call a "Squad Company", basically an enhanced Engine Company or a dual-role truck. It can of course perform engine company operations (deliver water onto the fire) and also basic technical rescue operations such as vehicle extrications/rescues (think jaws of life), rope/high angle rescues and some other basic rescue operations. The final note for this truck with some (not all of the equipment on board was purchased new) was about $433,000. It was built by Ferrara Fire Apparatus of Holden, La. The same truck built by Pierce would probably have cost in excess of $550,000. Note the absence of a LOT of chrome (hey we have to have SOME) or other bells and whistles. One of the only extravagant things we do have is a set of Buell train horns (something me and my old man started a while back...)

EDIT: Red Horse I see that you and I were discussing the IFS failures at the end of my new firetruck thread....LOL!!!!

I don't think it's fair to call anyone who likes Pierce "cool aid drinkers" because they like a certain brand. Some would say you get what you pay for, and some think paying the highest price brings the highest quality - not always true. On the other side, the City of Chester purchased a new ladder from another manufacturer to replace the Pierce tower. When officials visited the factory to see the new ladder, the drive shaft broke off. The truck was repaired and delivered, and the drive shaft has broken off two additional times. The city may have to sue the manufacturer, and had to place the aged Pierce back in service to have a ladder. Truck didn't let them down. They also have a Pierce squirt that is a reliable work hoarse for the department. Two other companies in the county bought new towers - almost twins. Both of the cabs started to crack at the welds. Not Pierce products, but cheaper.

A lot of it depends on the committee ordering any truck, what they want the truck to do, and how they take care of it. Sometimes it is better to spend the extra money and get a better tool that will last longer, and provide better service than going cheap. KME is built in Pennsylvania and has improved greatly. But they were the cheaper choice and had numerous problems, and some spent more time in the shop than in service. I don't see that as a good investment. My 2 cent.

I don't think it's fair to call anyone who likes Pierce "cool aid drinkers" because they like a certain brand.

Mack458, when I refer to the kool-aid drinkers in this case, I mean the ones who follow Pierce like a cult- the ones who think that Pierce is the second coming of Christ.

I like Seagrave myself. Do I think they are the second coming of Christ? Hell no, they are far from it. Does that make me a kool-aid drinker?

My dept runs all pierce..... if they are the best I'd hate to see the worst. They do the job....but seem to have a lot of issues. They do get a fair amount of use which could be a contributing factor....but with the cost of fire apparatus today you would think they all should be pretty much bulletproof..... No matter what make.

• Like 1

We went from 100% E-One to 100% Pierce in less than 13 years. All total Pierce has delivered over 100 trucks to us.

Price wise they are competitive with other builders for what we specify. Mechanical break downs occur across all brands, but what makes a brand good or bad is the quality of the body work and how it holds up to the (ab)use we give it. So far Pierce seems to hold up pretty well.

As far as the troops are concerned they are no better or worse than any other builder. No matter the builder they all have gremlins especially when they get run hard and put away wet day in and day out.

This is just our experience in a large relatively busy career department. Each department has to judge for themselves what will work for them.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!