237 Head gasket question

Freightrain

Ok, getting ready to put the heads back on my project motor. I found some nests in two cylinders and got them cleaned out. Scraped and cleaned the deck. Cleaned and re installed all the studs. Re tapped all the nuts. Going to put new valve stem seals next.

One question. When removing the original headgaskets, it looked like it had rubber o rings around some of the water passages. The new Felpro gasket set doesn't include anything like that. I'm guessing the o rings were a factory only thing? The Felpro looks like any other typical car head gasket I'm familiar with, having the silicone rings around the water passages.

This is a new game for me and don't want to have to do it twice.

I did pull the cover off the pump just for a look see. Glad I did as I found two plungers stuck. Some finesse and some oil have all six going up/down like they are suppose to now.

I remember reading a post just a month back or so about somebody having an issue with their early 237. Something about the coupler for the pump breaking? It is a weak design? I tried to search, but couldn't find the post. What should I look for to determine if mine has the same coupler? Remove the inspection plug at the coupler? If there is an upgrade I'd like to do it now so I don't have to deal with it someday later.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Thanks for the pictures. Now the $22000 question: can it be upgraded? Or just replace it and hope for the best for another 10-20 yrs? I got all winter(hopefully it is a short winter), but want to address this now.

Larry

Larry if that engine is a 237 it should have fire rings in the head gasket.That would be a steel ring that sets on top of the liner and it will seal the compression only.The head will be grooved also to met the fire ring.Dont worry about your pump drive.That drive breaks some times but its not a common thing.

glenn akers

Yes it has fire rings. That part is handled. I was curious about the o rings(if that was what they were) around the water holes in the deck. I can get a picture. Was wondering if that was a factory style headgasket compared to the felpro.

OK. I won't worry about the pump drive. Just thought I would ask if I could improve it. I saw Ron had posted to the other question and said there was a procedure to upgrade to later drive.

Larry

Your drive should have the late model shaft in it now I would think.I remember those first drives and the ball brg.The felpro gasket is a different design is All that is different.What I would do using it after maybe 5000 miles I would retorque the head bolts and that is done by back each nut off one at a time and retorque it and reset the valve lash.

• Like 2

glenn akers

I would "assume" that since Fel Pro has been in the gasket business for a day or two, they would have done some research and designed a proper gasket. That being said, I have never used a Fel Pro Mack head gasket in particular. I have used them in other applications and not had any issues.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

66rmack what is the part number on that? I unscrewed the cover off mine and found: 347GC215. Which is the narrow tang drive.

I can't find any valve stem seals on my heads. The kit came with o rings but no grooves on the stem for them and no umbrella style seals to be found.

Larry

After doing some reading in my motor book I found they dont use valve stem seals. Interesting. Second it appears by the number I posted above I have the early small drive. The book notes that on rebuild to upgrade to wider drive coupler 461GC232. Kit #215SB107.

Larry

I have wonderer about the head gaskets before myself. my 711 is a newer one and is stamped END707XXXX in the block. it has the newer 237 style head gaskets with fire rings but NO grooves cut in the head to accept the fire ring. it has a leaky head gasket when I got it, ordered a new one from Mack with the same part number that was on it and replaced and retorqued and set the valves. the fire ring had me wondering how the hell the rest of the gasket could seat if there was no groove for the firering tho. but it was remanned before I got it and has 10,000 miles on it since I have had it and it runs fine.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg