The headliner in my Superliner was damaged from a leaking roof vent.

I am looking for any and all advice about how to go about stopping the leak.

I am not a body man, and I don't want to create an expensive mess tearing into this thing.

Gob some silicon around it?

Replace gasket?

Replace Vent?

Any guidance/tips on the steps would be greatly appreciated.

btw, it leaks pretty bad. Like this, ".... drip, drip, drip, ....." in today's steady rain.

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

Go to an autobody supply with the old gasket and match it up as close as possible, probably close to a GM or Ford trunk seal gasket. . Install and lock the vent shut

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The headliner in my Superliner was damaged from a leaking roof vent.

I am looking for any and all advice about how to go about stopping the leak.

I am not a body man, and I don't want to create an expensive mess tearing into this thing.

Gob some silicon around it?

Replace gasket?

Replace Vent?

Any guidance/tips on the steps would be greatly appreciated.

btw, it leaks pretty bad. Like this, ".... drip, drip, drip, ....." in today's steady rain.

Is the rubber seal (moulding) that mounts (surrounds) your roof vent the source of the leak ?

Is the rubber that mounts (surrounds) your roof vent the source of the leak ?

Yes, I would say so. . . at least I think.... kinda hard for me to tell. I don't know how they're put together. Is there only one gasket?

My R has a gasket and it seals up the entire vent recess in the roof. I had a few rust pin holes in the front corners that I found after the gasket was removed. I got lazy and and used rust treatment and RTV to seal them up.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Buy the one piece gasket I replaced the one on my R when I painted it and I bought a new one for the superliner they are about $12 plus lock strip looks like a windshield gasket but one piece.

The R showed some signs of wetness when I pulled the headliner the superliner on the other hand had the overhead console with about a pint of water in it the roof had a couple holes from antennas thst were rtv and also had a crack in one of the roof stamp lines looks like the cab had been dented and was left like that from a previous repair welded both sides and sealed with epoxy

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

You know, I just realized looking at this literature that my seal was installed "inside out". The filler strip was on the exterior.... Is the filler strip what you guys are referring to as a key?

Thats the key or lock strip, it puts pressure on the gasket to seal it. Mine leaked at the vent flap part that opened.

P.T.CHESHIRE

My vent is rusted thin right where the gasket seals, only on one corner. For all the more metal there is, I figured do it once and be done. I want to get this interior back IN.

The rest of the vent is like new though :) $110 for the vent.... :(

Think I could get away with gobbing some silly-cone instead?

Thanks for posting the #'s..... I guess you've replaced one recently as well?

Like any temporary repair may last 10 minutes or 10 years. My suggestion so you don't have leaks and ruin the interior. See how much a used one is or better yet take to a body shop if you don't have a welder/body shop and see what it would cost to fix it I bet not much than put some rattle can paint on it and it will be like new.

Check with Superdog Mike bet he has vent

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

• 4 weeks later...

Is your vent bad? The gasket was $15.13 at the Mack dealer part #25162648 and the lock strip #812AXF was $1.71 per foot

So Volvo has replaced the old part number, which under Mack brilliance actually had a meaning to its once legendary parts people, with a Volvo global part number that has no meaning. And why? This rubber seal (moulding) is not used on any global market Volvo cabs.

But more important, a part that used to sell for $4 is now a ridiculous $15. It's just a simple rubber seal with a value no more than $6 today. But at Volvo, the philosophy is to price items at the maximum price level for profitability even though many customers will walk away. Their big trick is to engineer the parts so that you have to buy at Volvo, for example their AMT you can't work on. They've got you.......you have to pay their price.

See kscarbel2 post right above here heposted the directions, the lock strip is the trickiest part

I can't even begin to get the vent started in the rubber molding. I used OB lube and everything. Its just an absolute nightmare. Is this a two man operation????

I get a corner started, and as soon as I try to move along it pops back out and I'm back to square one.

fwiw there is a product called sikoflex its used in trailer repair shops its the best stuff i`ve found for sealing leaks if you have to have a quick fix comes in white or grey or black

Wish I would've just done that instead of paying $100+ for a vent that I can't seem to fit in...