CDL, License Medical Certification, Etc.

I have had my CDL for 33 years (time flies!), and now really only keep it for the hobby (some say keep it, some say no need but another topic). A few years back they started requiring me to get a medical card (before I only carried in my wallet when I drove commmerically) which was only an eye test after my routine physical. But now as you know it is a more formal process, requiring out of pocket expense ($150 per exam not covered by insurance), mailing forms etc. I noticed today on the NY DMV site (actually hate to say something positive about DMV but they are pretty good here), that you can self-identify as "excepted" which does not require a medical card. Excepted is farmers, school buses, "transporting corpses", "emergency propane deliveries", etc.. As I am mainly keeping my license for now to avoid having to re-test etc. down the road, would it make sense to be "excepted" until I need a CDL again (I only drive my tractor as a straight truck, registered as historic under 20K pounds). Any thoughts, what are you folks doing about this (more you retired and semi retired folks, realize you can't do this as a professional driver...). Thanks.

don`t know your age but if you can pass all the tests for a full commercial type physical I recomend that you do so. once you give up any part of your qualification as a commercial driver you most likely won`t be allowed to reclaim it in future cc

ditto.

My wife was an "excepted" bus driver, she went back and forth the the local NYDMV, on the phone with Albany thes spring, because the NYDMV would not accept she did not need a medical card / form for her class C bus license. She ended up getting the physical.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

According to our South Carolina DPS Transport Police (diesel cops) Man, you can do the "Excepted" deal and not need a physical.. If you want to go back to driving for hire all you have to do is get a physical and send in another form to change it back.

I know laws and regulations vary from state to state so it is best to check with some one in the "diesel cop" department rather than the DMV and find out what they say>>

• Like 2

Brocky

I have had my CDL for 33 years (time flies!), and now really only keep it for the hobby (some say keep it, some say no need but another topic). A few years back they started requiring me to get a medical card (before I only carried in my wallet when I drove commmerically) which was only an eye test after my routine physical. But now as you know it is a more formal process, requiring out of pocket expense ($150 per exam not covered by insurance), mailing forms etc. I noticed today on the NY DMV site (actually hate to say something positive about DMV but they are pretty good here), that you can self-identify as "excepted" which does not require a medical card. Excepted is farmers, school buses, "transporting corpses", "emergency propane deliveries", etc.. As I am mainly keeping my license for now to avoid having to re-test etc. down the road, would it make sense to be "excepted" until I need a CDL again (I only drive my tractor as a straight truck, registered as historic under 20K pounds). Any thoughts, what are you folks doing about this (more you retired and semi retired folks, realize you can't do this as a professional driver...). Thanks.

Here's the deal,if you got your first cdl on or before 9-9-99,check that date because i don't remember the exact date off hand you can certify excepted with a k restriction the k means you can only drive intrastate,you will not give up any anything and in the future you can change it if you want to drive interstate you will just have to get the physical and re certify,this is the same in all states since all cdl are now federally regulated,,

ditto.

My wife was an "excepted" bus driver, she went back and forth the the local NYDMV, on the phone with Albany thes spring, because the NYDMV would not accept she did not need a medical card / form for her class C bus license. She ended up getting the physical.

probably something to do with interstate vs intrastate,she might need the k restriction witch they will give you if you certify to intrastate only,not sure about school bus drivers,to many people at the dmv still don't what the hell is going on.

I read iron NY DMV section on CDL questions. Not so much worried about passing (actually feel bad for some of the guys making a living with some health problems, Dr. said she is failing or conditionally flagging a lot of guys now), but it's just another thing to track, e-mail, etc. Figured some guys in the hobby might be interested in understanding this better. As a hobby I think we could easily find ourselves more and more regulated (how many politicians understand what we do). If than regulate weedwackers how long til they decide no one should run a 50 yr old engine anymore). Sorry, try to avoid politics but ...

I would check with other certified doctors as there is no mandated price on a physical. I was planning on getting mine done via the CVS which was $100 bucks, was driving through a neighboring town an there was a occupational health office that CDL physicals were $65 bucks so I pulled in and looked them up on my cell phone and sure enough they were on the FMCSA web site so I got prodded and went to lunch with the left over money.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

probably something to do with interstate vs intrastate,she might need the k restriction witch they will give you if you certify to intrastate only,not sure about school bus drivers,to many people at the dmv still don't what the hell is going on.

Yeah she was intrastate but like you said no body at DMV knew what to do apparently.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I read iron NY DMV section on CDL questions. Not so much worried about passing (actually feel bad for some of the guys making a living with some health problems, Dr. said she is failing or conditionally flagging a lot of guys now), but it's just another thing to track, e-mail, etc. Figured some guys in the hobby might be interested in understanding this better. As a hobby I think we could easily find ourselves more and more regulated (how many politicians understand what we do). If than regulate weedwackers how long til they decide no one should run a 50 yr old engine anymore). Sorry, try to avoid politics but ...

just my opinion but don't do anything you don't have to,if your not going to drive out of state you dont need to get a med card so why do it,F the feds,they want to control every aspect of out lives..