Which Shifter Knob Is Proper For My Truck?

My truck was built in August, 1978 and I'm wondering which shifter style it would have been built with. The original owner cannot remember due to time passage.

One type has the range and splitter in the same knob, the other has the pull up range selector.

The transmission is an RTO12513.

I'll try to post a couple of photos; Thanks to Herb for the interior photo and John from another site.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

My truck was built in August, 1978 and I'm wondering which shifter style it would have been built with. The original owner cannot remember due to time passage.

One type has the range and splitter in the same knob, the other has the pull up range selector.

The transmission is an RTO12513.

I'll try to post a couple of photos; Thanks to Herb for the interior photo and John from another site.

Thanks,

Rob

I would say it had the up/down range selector. There was a '80 kw w-900 at the chipmill were i used to work had the 13 spd. on it set up like that. I was born in '85 so i couldn't tell you excatly, but I've seen quite a few trucks like this around the year of yours. Maybe someone else will chime in with the real answer.

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

It should have had the one like pictured in the interior pic,hi/lo selector on the stick and dir/hi slpitter on the knob.Personally I always liked this style better than the 3 splits on the knob.

Thanks Mike, I've found an N.O.S. one from my uncle and want to get the correct one. The truck had the newer style one on it that was more square.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob,

I drove a new 1979 IH TransStar II with a Cummins 350 and 13 speed Fuller Road Ranger, we bought the truck new in 1979 and the shifter you have pictured was the one that was installed on the truck from the factory in 1979.

I always liked that shifter better than the splitter on the stick, it shifted quickly and even though it had AC (the first truck I had w/ AC !) it was easier to shift with sweaty hands and was easier to use!

Firemack

hmmm...I wasn't going to comment because I didn't know, but then that really never stopped me before, did it? :unsure: Now i'm more confused than I was at first- I drove a '74 Transtar with an rto9513 and it had the range selector on the shift knob, but then I used to drive a '74 Transtar with an rt9513 that had the range selector valve separate, mounted on the stick. I'm pretty sure Hard Rock's '77 Transtar and Underdog's '78 KW, both with rto12513's, both had the 3 position knob. So...in other words-I have no idea, except that both were probably still used at that time, but for what exact application... I couldn't say. Glad to help, anything else I might not know about don't hesitate to ask. You know what they say, if you don't know-ax somebody. :rolleyes:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.