Rough Trip Home

fxfymn

Steelman aka Carey and I took my 52 to Trucktoberfest. While returning home on Sunday morning on I-81 just north of Harrisburg the trailer had a blow out.

After pulling as far to the right as the shoulder would allow I got out to assess the damage and start getting the spare on. As I was standing next to the trailer a car veered out of the right lane and actually crossed the white line right next to me. Just as I was saying a few choice words about the driver and his mental abilities I saw a PA State Trooper light 'em up and pull the driver over. My first thought was "Yes!! There is a God."

A few minutes later the trooper backed up to our location and asked me just how far the car had crossed the line. After getting my information he placed his car behind us and came up to help me change the tire. He told us he was actually off duty and was on the way to get his narcotics dog out of the kennel. I told him I was a retired firefighter and that I would probably have to take back all the shit I gave cops over the years because of him. He laughed and said that despite popular perception they are in the right place at the right time on occasion.

All went well until we were just a couple of miles from home when a second tire let go on the trailer. Fortunately I had bought new tires to replace the existing tires because they were getting up in age. A quick trip home to get another tire and we were soon on our way again.

Glad to be home safely and very grateful to a very good PA State Trooper. And yes, there are now four brand new "Made in the USA" Goodyear trailer tires on the lowboy.

• Like 2

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Glad to hear you are okay. Scares the bejeebers out of me changing a tire ON the roadside.

Just the other day I watched a car change a tire and I wondered why they didn't drive a little farther(like 1/8 mile) to get past the guard rail and give themselve more room to pull off the road to change a left side tire. I swear I'll drive til the rim is gone before I change one like that.

Just put 6 new tires on my trailer about 3 yrs ago(I change them out every 5-6 yrs regardless). Just last Sunday I took my rig over to a local show(my trailer is part of it) and found a belt separated on one tire. Ugh. I dropped the pressure in it to hope it won't blow going home(about 5 miles). Time to call my buddy for another one, as I have a trip to Pittsburgh in a couple weeks. I stopped putting Goodyears on it, as they don't seem to last any longer then the Chinese version(at half the price).

I found they don't last more then 6 yrs without coming apart(even the goodyears). I'd rather spend a few bucks and just put new on it on a regard basis and save myself the headache.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Carl,

Sorry to hear about your tire issues but good to hear you are safe and made it home.

My trip was not an event free one either. When I arrived in Allentown, a freeze plug at the rear of the engine block was "dripping" coolant. I put a tube of Stop-Leak in the coolant and it "seems to work - dry, no drips, no errors, no runs". On the return trip Saturday afternoon I stopped in Carlisle to "take a leak". Another trucker told me the trailer had no taillights. So after a couple hours of "screwing around", I holed up at the Stupid 8 (getting dark and did not want to run the PA greenstamp without taillights). I waited until daylight on Sunday morning and drove to the farm. Today I resolved the light issue - loose wire on the inside of the tractor recepticle. The wire connector screws are rusted but I was able to "wedge" the wire into the terminal for a temporary fix. I will need to replace the recepticle and freeze plug after Winchester (keeping my fingers crossed).

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Those pieces of old iron like getting attention.

That is what they have in common with women.

On the other side issues and brakedowns are a part of owning and loving it.

A kind of adenture.

Seems like in the both cases though.

Glad to here you guys came home safe.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I stopped putting Goodyears on it, as they don't seem to last any longer then the Chinese version(at half the price).

Last summer Eastern Marine in Newark, DE put the Goodyear Marathon 215/75R 17.5 LRH tires on sale. They came already mounted on rims for around $250.00 each after all of the discounts. I couldn't find the tires alone for that price. That's why I had them "in stock".

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!