T2180B trans

Brandt

It's a good transmission with the exception of the range syncro being a weak point. Mack has an updated part for the syncros,and it is used when they rebuild them. Always preselect your shifts. It will handle way more torque than any engine that bolts to it can make. 18th gear is ~.70:1 ratio. The b at the end means lower speed reverse although mine is still plenty fast when loaded.

• Like 1

Thanx for the replies. I was told it was a 13 spd, but it looks like an 18 spd, by model #. It is being sold as a rebuildable core. Am I looking at $3500 to have it rebuilt? Or are Mack transmissions more that Eatons to rebuild?

I'm thinking of putting this in a dump truck - good idea or not?? I don't mind the slow reverse.

Mack trans cost more money to rebuild than Eaton. Having a dealer rebuild/replace the back section of Mack is somewhere around $3000-3500. Thats without touching the maincase. Parts prices are up and reman prices are down. If only one case of the Mack needs repaired, rebuilding is worth it. If both cases need rebuilt or repaired, Mack reman is the better option. This is just my opinion I what I have seen in the last year for T2s and T3s.

Eatons are cheaper. Eaton will allow you to rebuild an entire trans under warranty. Mack would ok the replacement of a trans with a reman, instead of rebuilding the entire trans. Buy the time you add the parts and labor for a Mack, you would exceed the price of a reman.

I think Macks are easier to rebuild than Eatons. But Ive done more Macks than Eatons. This is because I work on Mack and another guy worked on Eatons.

The only difference between a Mack 13 speed and 18 speed is the shifter and shift pattern sticker on the dash. Its the same physical trans, there is no difference with the trans.

• Like 1

The triple counter shaft design is lot more durable than twin countershaft (Eaton) design in general.

T2180B was originally rated at 1700 lb-ft torque but can be used up to 1800 lb-ft. Lo Gear/Lo Split - 13.91:1; Reverse gear is 12.88:1;

Mack T200 and T300 transmissions did have compound box synchronizer issues in the past and unfortunately the fixes were not put in place in time. But in 2010-2011 timeframe significant improvements were made to the range clutch and other components. The steel was changed from 8620H to 4320H (with higher Nickel content). The Nickel content helps the part with impact loads during dynamic shifting and can withstand abuse scenarios. The taper/dove on the teeth have also been increase on lo and high range side from 3/4 of a degree to around 2 degree. This helps the clutch proper engagement with the internal spline of the gear and keep them inplace during truck operation.

The above changes along with other Synchronizer changes improved/decreased the warranty on T300 transmissions 76% over 3 years and projected to reduce it beyond 90% over 5 year period. Most of the previous failures were seen around 350k-400k miles. With these changes there should be few failures below 600k-750k miles. Unfortunately, the changes came a bit late to avoid bad reputation in the market.

The attachments should help allay some of your fears with Mack transmissions in general.

FSB 431-003 Range Clutch Synchronizer Components.pdf

Weibull_T300_Warranty.pdf

Edited by kt_Engineer
  • Like 2

I would be removing a TRTXL to install this T2180. I got 2 quotes; one at $6500 and one "starting" at $5000, to rebuild this one. I haven't called the Mack dealer to see what a reman is usiing this core.

I don't put many miles on this truck in a years time. However I would like to pull a pup behind it and adding weight I sure would like the 18 spd.

I have and Eaton 13 spd in my road tractor, that has 1.1 mil on it. I bought a RTLO18913 at a salvage yard (as a core) for $2000. It is currently being rebuilt now and I will swap them out sometime in Oct. All total I will have $5500 into it, but will have a spare, working (but worn) 13 spd.

If I do the same with the Mack, I will have $6700 into it and a spare, working 12 spd.

What is the value of a used TRTXL 1070B 12 spd w/ 240K miles on it???