Mack Lantern

SMFire History

That light was made by either Grether or Carpenter Co. of Somerville, MA. Both were commonly used by a lot of apparatus builders of the era. The lights are not all that hard to find, but the brackets are quite difficult to locate. it should have four holes in the body where the bracket mounts.

I think Cal Little has reproductions of the Carpenter brackets available.

It is hard to decide from the picture, but I think it is a Grether. Here is a link to one for sale on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1918-Grether-Fire-Equipment-Co-Portable-Electric-Lantern-Model-6-/301632272318?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463aaf37be

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I need three of them. I have the empty brackets on my L and A. I am not paying $200 for one though. Mike

Bill Darrow sold and collects Grether items and I seem to recall him having a line on repros. He is a SPAAMFAA member and is / was also listed on the Visiting Fireman Site as of 2010.

http://general.visitingfireman.com/vf_listings.php?operation=view&pk0=1385

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

or a reasonable source for a Grether lantern?

Hit the flea markets and keep your eye on SPAAMFAA and eBay. The ones I bought came to me because I bought a Mack extinguisher through eBay and the seller offered several other items he had to me.

Your best source will probably be a member of your local SPAAMFAA chapter that has a couple squirreled away "just in case" he finds something that needs them. Go to the chapter meetings and let it be known what you need.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

The email address listed for Mr Darrow seems to no longer be correct. Anyone have a contact for him or a reasonable source for a Grether lantern?

I was told he may have passed away. Any one here who is a member of the SPAAMFAA can look up his name in the roster. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Bill Darrow has not passed away. He lives in Ohio, I will see if I can get a phone number or current e-mail. You might even google his name and come up with some information.

I didn't think so. The Phone number is in the Visiting Fireman link I gave to SMF. Paul

http://general.visitingfireman.com/vf_listings.php?operation=view&pk0=1385

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks guys. I was trying not to call for fear that he might not want to be called out of the blue, but I suppose if he listed it then maybe it's ok?

Call him .

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 1 month later...

Came out very nice. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE