Decoding Serial Numbers

Hello everyone,

I'm sure this question has probably been asked before but here goes: Is there anyway to indentify a B Model's year by the serial number? I tried the search feature but couldn't come up with anything. Thanks in advance for any info.

The only way you can is by contacting the Mack Museum and they can tell you when it was built.That's not always the year on the title,though,back then a truck wasn't titled until sold.For example I have a '59 with a higher serial # than a couple of my 1960 B-61's .

Thanks Superdog,

I wrote to the museum about a month or so ago. Do you or anyone have any experiences with the length of time it takes for a response?

Rusty , Try looking here - http://www.oldmacksrus.com/registry.htm for serial numbers close to yours to get some idea of your trucks year. Remember that each model had its own series of serial numbers . Steve

Steve,

Thanks for that. I already checked that out and I registered the truck. The problem is that my truck is a B-46 and Mack only made something like 470 of them from 58-64. There's only one B-46 listed on the registry so It's kind of hard to figure the year from that. I bought the truck back around 82 and I'm pretty sure the guy I got it from was the original owner. I can't seem to find the title at the moment but I'm pretty sure it was titled as a 62. I just want to be sure because if I have to get a duplicate title it helps to know the exact year. In any event, writing to the museum is the ticket and I'm looking forward to what they send.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a reply from the museum and have to say that I was not expecting such a comprehensive amount of information about my B-46. I wish I did it years ago; thanks to this message board for making me aware of writing to the museum.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...