Working on my hood have several questions.

I took the hood of the RS yesterday for paint work I also drilled out the rubber inserts holding the grille to the hood so I could do a thorough job of sanding. Question is I see Watts sells the rubber inserts for holding the superliner grille to the hood are they the same as the ones holding the grilles to the western R model hood? Last question has anyone taken out the eight carriage bolts holding the hood to the hinge I cut them off flush with the fiberglass and they will not budge even with a hammer and punch. I don't know for sure but I believe there is a metal plate inside the fiberglass they go thru they may be rusted tight to.

I ground the heads 3/4 or better down center punched them drilled them out until the rest of the head came off then drilled them to where the square part of the carrage bolt was gone them used an air chisel to punch them out the back. I sanded the hood down good tomorrow after dinner I will prime it then the red goes on the fenders and front and the blue with white stars will go on the top and sides.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm replacing the bolts in mine now. Can't find an exact replacement however.

The original bolts have a head diameter of 29mm or 1-1/8 inch. Only ones I can find have a head diameter of 20mm. What sizes do you guys have? Will smaller ones pull thru over time?

I'm replacing the bolts in mine now. Can't find an exact replacement however.

The original bolts have a head diameter of 29mm or 1-1/8 inch. Only ones I can find have a head diameter of 20mm. What sizes do you guys have? Will smaller ones pull thru over time?

If your Mack dealer can't help you out, try a good industrial fastener supply company. Ask them for elevator bolts. Elevator bolts will have the "square" but will be available with a low or flat dome in a larger head diameter than conventional carriage bolts.

In the US, we have suppliers such as Fastenal, Grainger, McMaster-Carr, etc. but I don't have a name for an industrial house for your area.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#elevator-bolts/=ykx8sr

The link will give some sizing references. A little bigger than 1 1/8th.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Thanks for your input guys. I did see my local mack parts supplier but he had to check in the books for them. He got back to me late yesterday and has 8 in stock.

He is a good young bloke, I know a lot of parts blokes that wouldn't bother if it not in their computer system.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...