Rough Day........

Well, not too terrible, but did put a damper on the trip home.

Jul05_0007.jpg

I got to my destination to walk around the truck to see the RR tire was right up near the fender. Hmmm, not good. I found three leaves sticking out of the pack and the top spring was kinda not arch correctly anymore. Ouch. There is a section of Rt. 8 that is just about unpassable for trucks and this year it's getting worse, so it didn't surprise me to find this. I was able to remove the fender and using a 4x4 block the spring UP using my fifth wheel mounting angle iron and it make the 90 mile trip back home okay. Bit rough, but better then the alternative.

After spring was removed, but you can tell how I used fifth wheel to support weight

Jul05_0008.jpg

The issue was when I got truck back in '01 I had the springs cut down to THREE main leaves(the rest left for spacers). It's work great, but I suppose after the trip it just had plus the fact the two bottom spring were 50 yrs old had something to do with it. The top leaves were replaced back when I cut it up as the original were pitted around the u-bolt plate, so it survived the punishment. I have to wait for Monday to get things replaced, and I'm due out Thurs morning, so I'm really hoping local shop can take care of it quick. I can dream anyway.

Drivers side spring

Jul05_0010-1.jpg

I'll be replacing all leaves this time, so it should last a long time............even though I'm trying to put a plan together for this fall to FINALLY get an air ride stuck under it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Freighttrain- A timely post! I'm debating if I should replace the springs on my 60 B-68X. this thing has a 35,000 lb. Rad 111 rear and I'm going to put a 10' dump on it and use it. Springs for this puppy with helpers will cost me $1550 for the rear and about 700 for the fronts. Your pictures convinced me. In particular as I intend to put a load on it every now and then.

Freighttrain- A timely post! I'm debating if I should replace the springs on my 60 B-68X. this thing has a 35,000 lb. Rad 111 rear and I'm going to put a 10' dump on it and use it. Springs for this puppy with helpers will cost me $1550 for the rear and about 700 for the fronts. Your pictures convinced me. In particular as I intend to put a load on it every now and then.

wow,I hope I never break a spring,I didn't know they were that expensive. Each spring leaf on the mixer looks about 3/4" of an inch thick though-rides like it has no springs!

Bad part is if I were to break one,they'd probably be even more expensive...harder to find...harder to remove used ones if you can find them-wow,hope I don't break a spring!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

wow,I hope I never break a spring,I didn't know they were that expensive. Each spring leaf on the mixer looks about 3/4" of an inch thick though-rides like it has no springs!

Bad part is if I were to break one,they'd probably be even more expensive...harder to find...harder to remove used ones if you can find them-wow,hope I don't break a spring!

O'Dog, If you get lucky, you can find some nice ones. the B-61S I bought for the Cab (and as it turns out, engine and quadbox) Has a great looking set of springs- no rust between leaves. Of course when I go to sell it everyone says.."44 rears, dime a dozen!'

My B-67 had what I thought looked like real good springs

on all four corners.

Took the springs to be serviced and they found three cracked

leaves and the center bolt holes were all oblong and rusted badly.

From the outside everything looked fine.

My point is -

Don't monkey around with the springs, especially if you plan to

drive the truck at all. They are fairly cheap and pretty critical.

Also I would recommend the ACE "Super Ride" air ride crossmember for all

those single axle rough riders out there.

Simple install, reasonable price and uses your original springs.

I know it's not as cheap as cutting down the stack to three leaves,

but it actually rides better and won't break on a rough road.

FreightTrain - pretty good thinking using the 5th wheel mount to

get yourself home. You're a perfect candidate for that ACE system - you haul

your trailer a lot. Just the wear and tear you would save would be worth the price.

Paul Van Scott

I'm going with a full air ride, as I want to stretch the truck about 40" to be able to add a sleeper. I've seen those add ons and it would be easy to do.

I'm dreading what it's going to cost to replace the leaves. Probably won't be cheap...but gotta do it now, as I need the truck Thursday.

I've been wanting to get the fronts rebuilt as I know one of the clamps has rotted and broke so the leaves have "popped" a bit. Since the front doesn't move much(flex) I'm not too worried about it right now. The biggest issue was the rear leaves move ALOT since I cut all the leaves out. This no doubt had alot to do with the break, especially after 49yrs.

Larry

I'm going with a full air ride, as I want to stretch the truck about 40" to be able to add a sleeper. I've seen those add ons and it would be easy to do.

I'm dreading what it's going to cost to replace the leaves. Probably won't be cheap...but gotta do it now, as I need the truck Thursday.

I've been wanting to get the fronts rebuilt as I know one of the clamps has rotted and broke so the leaves have "popped" a bit. Since the front doesn't move much(flex) I'm not too worried about it right now. The biggest issue was the rear leaves move ALOT since I cut all the leaves out. This no doubt had alot to do with the break, especially after 49yrs.

Eaton/Detroit Spring was at $399.00 per side last year when I asked, so was a local truck parts dealer.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Larry Just thinking out lound here.. could you install air bags to the rear of the new springs? and then bolt an upper plate to the bottom of the frame rails . would the front hanger alow the spring to pivot a little?I know time is the issue here and it may take a full weekend to finish the job?

Trent

Ok guys- For the front springs $950 pr. (these are 14 leaf)

rears $1210 pr

rear Helpers 495 pr

Helper brkts 179

total $2834

Keep in mind this is a 35,000 LB rear with torque rods each side and a center torque rd going to the cross member.

But like the Fram guy said.."pay me now or pay me later".

OK, things went well yesterday. I dropped parts off 8am, picked up 4pm!

Total: $571 for 3 new leafs each side and new bolts.

As of 9pm last night it's all back in one piece besides torquing ubolts. Still looking for torque specs(anyone?).

Ya, lucky the front mounts didn't break, though they don't get much abuse. It's just the contant monkey motion of the 49 yr old springs that caused the failure. The top spring was new and only bend outta shape, not broke. With three new leafs on each side, it should survive the summer fine, and once racing season is over I can work on getting air under it(hopefull).

Larry

OK, things went well yesterday. I dropped parts off 8am, picked up 4pm!

Total: $571 for 3 new leafs each side and new bolts.

As of 9pm last night it's all back in one piece besides torquing ubolts. Still looking for torque specs(anyone?).

Freightrain, never torqued a spring pack u-bolt in my life. Just one tension for them, F/T. F*&%ing tight! I also use a smear of never seize on them too. Last spring pack i did was on a tri-axle trailer, and final tension was done with a 3/4" drive socket and a 4 foot bar.

Well, I don't have anything long enough to put on my 3/4" breakerbar so I borrowed a 600# torque wrench. I pulled and pulled and pulled...........til I was blue in the face. It was tough holding that monster UP as I pulled it. I got to 450# and gave up. Don't think it will ever fall apart. I just got home from few hundred mile round trip with no issues, so I think I'm good to go.

One thing I notice is it's a bit more bouncy(not rough, just bouncy) now then with the old springs. It sat for 4 days with the trailer on it, so it should have them set down a bit now. It road a bit better coming home tonight then Thursday going out.

Larry

Well, I don't have anything long enough to put on my 3/4" breakerbar so I borrowed a 600# torque wrench. I pulled and pulled and pulled...........til I was blue in the face. It was tough holding that monster UP as I pulled it. I got to 450# and gave up. Don't think it will ever fall apart. I just got home from few hundred mile round trip with no issues, so I think I'm good to go.

One thing I notice is it's a bit more bouncy(not rough, just bouncy) now then with the old springs. It sat for 4 days with the trailer on it, so it should have them set down a bit now. It road a bit better coming home tonight then Thursday going out.

What? No lengths of pipe lying around??? LOL. You got the idea though. Just forgot to mention though, after about 500 miles with a load on, is a good idea to get that big sucker out again and heave away. Makes sure the U bolts are tight after the springs settle. We check all our U bolts on spring suspension once a year. Is surprising how much turn you can get on some of them, especially the low loaders doing dirt work.