I pulled the radiator out of my B-42 today and was surprised to find that the shutters are stationary. I had just assumed it had some parts missing as I've never really paid attention to it. I thought all the B models had shutters. My truck has lived in the South its whole life so is this a southern thing?aeab8c56f604bf1d733fed175055b56d.jpgab0f663a542687f29630cac182315fe1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

I don't know anything about Mack shutters and I'm probably wrong but I think they are supposed to move. Second picture, bottom left, shows a slot where the end of the shutter is supposed to rotate. All of the shutters should be hooked together. I also think you are missing parts. Besides that, why would they be there if they didn't rotate.

I don't know anything about Mack shutters and I'm probably wrong but I think they are supposed to move. Second picture, bottom left, shows a slot where the end of the shutter is supposed to rotate. All of the shutters should be hooked together. I also think you are missing parts. Besides that, why would they be there if they didn't rotate.

no,those a "dummy" shutters,hes not missing anything. I've got a set or 2 just like them off B42's also.

The shutters on the early diesel B's did not have a thermostat they used the shutter and shutter stat as the thermostat to regulate temp of the engine. When cold shutters would be cold as it warmed up they would open to a certain point to maintain temp in accordance with the shutter stat that was mounted in the return manifold on the left side of the engine. I would think that all changed when they went to the P, 711 or added a turbo. I have not researched it enough to determine the exact date when the thermostats became a part of the coolant system, but looking at engines was sometime in 1960 early 1961.

Correct me if i am wrong someone.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

yup most flathead gas jobs, B20, B30 and B42's had the fixed shutters,. the real shutter were an option. all B61's had shutters til they came out with the P motor and changed then intake/water manifold. I think this was around 59. only other oddball was the B53's that had no shutters period and a fixed grille

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

All our our B models have fixed shutters: B42, B422, B66, B70, B85F. These are all gas jobs. I can't speak for the diesels. We don't have any of them. My father took the shutters off his B66 and replaced them with a fixed grill. I like the shutters better. Mike.