Kingpin Won't Take Grease

mb300d79

My 65 B61ST has a kingpin that refuses to take grease even after using an air pressure grease gun. I've resisted trying to heat it since the front axle is off a 91 Mack and may have plastic. The truck sat for quite a while before i got it and steering was awful until i got some grease into it. Turns left normally now, but right turns are a real chore. Thought on how to rectify this issue?

My 65 B61ST has a kingpin that refuses to take grease even after using an air pressure grease gun. I've resisted trying to heat it since the front axle is off a 91 Mack and may have plastic. The truck sat for quite a while before i got it and steering was awful until i got some grease into it. Turns left normally now, but right turns are a real chore. Thought on how to rectify this issue?

I've never tried anything like this but maybe something like this might work:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P6...amp;dir=catalog

HAVE U TRIED JACKIN UP THE FRONT END AND HAVIN SOMEONE TURNTHE WHEEL BACK AND FORTH WHILE U GREASE IT OR U COULD TRY T REPLACE THE GREASE FITTIN THE LIL BALL MIGHT HAVE GOTTEN STUCK. THEY DO THAT OFTEN ENOUGH!!
Many times i have seen that happen and most people will change the zert first and you may try that.But some hand grease guns have more pressure than some of the air grease guns.

glenn akers

Many times i have seen that happen and most people will change the zert first and you may try that.But some hand grease guns have more pressure than some of the air grease guns.

I have an old "Alemite" tool that you actually grease with a gun, slip the end onto the frozen zerk, and smack the other end with a hammer. You will either break the clog, force the zerk from the threads, or explode the zerk. I've had this thing for over 30 years, and my grandpa had it before me for several years.

I have seen a copy of this tool at a parts store, I think it was NAPA, but not positive.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The old shop I worked in as a teenager had one of those also. Worked great when you needed it.

I have even taken out the zerk fitting and probed around with a pick or wire in the knuckle or kingpin and broken up the old hardened grease where the fitting would take grease.

Here is a new fangled one from NAPA....very pricey

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLM...ol+-+Ramo-Matic

Zerk Fitting Tool - Ramo-Matic

Item#: SER416

Price: $39.69

tax and shipping not included

Disclaimer: The stated price may vary from the in store price and may change at anytime.

David

If its difficult to turn make sure the adjusting nut at the bottom hasnt been wound uo too tight.

Make sure that the shims under the springs is not in wrong and that they are close to being the same on one side as the other. Some times guys will get a shim in backwards and it will feel the same way.

glenn akers

• 3 weeks later...

As previously stated jack it up, get the weight off, then pull the grease nipple out and I use an o ring pick to dig any old hardened grease out, then put in a new grease nipple. Get someone to turn the steering while it's still jacked up and try greasing it then. Get them to hold it hard on each lock too, as this puts sideways pressure on the steering knuckles and may move them enough to get fresh grease in. Only ever had one king pin I could never get grease into, and had to strip it down. Was stuffed totally and rusted, so nuthin' was getting in there. I used to have a grease gun (til someone needed it more than me), that was dual action. High volume or high pressure, you just pushed the pivot pin for the trigger on the handle across one side or the other. Great for dry spring pins and shackles.