I think you're right Keith. Maybe if the F models were galvanized,we would see more around today. I don't know though,the whole U.S auto/truck industry was using that crappy steel. I would imagine the galvanizing would have slowed it down some,but that stuff would rust as you were looking at it! Has anybody had any major rust through on a MACK cab since they started galvanizing the cabs? I haven't seen anything like the "crap steel" generation,where the roofs and other panels would literally fall off! Al

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Back then, they would just spot weld two panels together with no protection, then paint it on the outside. It would rot from the inside and just fall apart. Even cars back then. The mid 70's they started galvanizing Ford truck inner fenders, as my earlier versions would just rot away and the hood would fall off.

Even new cars today, panels rot bad if you don't do something with it. Two year old vehicle with the door jams all corroded. I took the g/f new Jeep and got it oil sprayed. She complained about the smell and the mess all summer(dripping from the seams), but it should stay around for awhile. I do my '89 F150 twice a year myself. It leaves a mess for a week, but I have a gravel driveway.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I think you're right Keith. Maybe if the F models were galvanized,we would see more around today. I don't know though,the whole U.S auto/truck industry was using that crappy steel. I would imagine the galvanizing would have slowed it down some,but that stuff would rust as you were looking at it! Has anybody had any major rust through on a MACK cab since they started galvanizing the cabs? I haven't seen anything like the "crap steel" generation,where the roofs and other panels would literally fall off! Al

Al, when we painted my 85R in 2008, there was a few spots around the rockers that rusted through.Not bad though. The doors were not galvanized though. The doors had rust right through around the mirrors and the bottom.

The galvanizing definitely helped in my opinion.

• Like 1

Keith