Canadian B-Model

thats awesome......they are based out of Niagara Falls, and haul mostly produce from what i've seen...they have a drop yard off beaverdale rd. and hwy 24 in cambridge....mostly Internationals and freight shakers now....that is if it's the same Zavitz i'm thinking of......G.L. Zavitz i believe.....

• Like 1

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

great photos there the top photo looks like the mud guard fender wing depending on what part of the world your from looks to be longer than normal

those saddle tanks I think thats what they call them are they off a Reo or are just some type of generic brand

thanks for sharing

Paul

I saw that truck (or a twin) a few times at the Port of Albany when I was a kid. Zavitz got it, as well as some R and F-600's when they bought out a company by the name of Mel-O-Ripe, which would explain the why it's blue instead of red like the rest of the Zavitz fleet. A few years ago I was exchanging email's with a member of the Trucknet site whose uncle owned this truck (or a twin). He purchased it from Zavitz to become an O/O and leased it back to them. It eventually caught fire and was scrapped.

thats awesome......they are based out of Niagara Falls, and haul mostly produce from what i've seen...they have a drop yard off beaverdale rd. and hwy 24 in cambridge....mostly Internationals and freight shakers now....that is if it's the same Zavitz i'm thinking of......G.L. Zavitz i believe.....

There were 3 Zavitz brothers that owned trucking companies back then. 2 of the brothers owned Zavitz Brothers LTD which was the larger company of the two and the operator all the above trucks. G (Gerald) Zavitz LTD from Niagara Falls was known simply as Zavitz back then and used the same company logo, but without the words Brothers LTD under the name, which is somewhat visible in the photo.

There are 3 companies currently in operation that are run by the sons and grandchildren of the 3 brothers: G. Zavitz LTD, K.A.M Trucking, and Zavcor.

• Like 1

Jim

Zavits was Wainfleet G Zavits was Niagara Falls That may have been Jimmy Martins truck quite a character

The fella I spoke to about that truck was named George and the owner was his uncle. George has his own trucking company but I don't know the name.

Do you remember any other drivers from back then? I can picture a few of them but the only names I remember are a guy named Bill who was an O/O with a brown and white KW K100 and a another driver named Olie.

There's a handful of cool photos of the Zavitz Brothers fleet on the K.A.M Trucking website but the pictures aren't loading for some reason.

Jim

Ole is my Uncle Green Dash hes still around

Wow, small world! My Dad worked for a banana company out of the Bronx and I spent much of my time off from school riding with him. There was lots of downtime waiting to get loaded so I would just walk around looking at the trucks and since I would see many of the same drivers all the time I could often times see a truck in the distance and know who was driving it. I know your uncle's name because he had it on the door of a Zavitz Cruiseliner using those black on gold stick-on, hardware store type letters. I can still picture him waiting in line behind my Dad at the scale house in Port Newark. He had fair skin and blonde or reddish hair, wearing green work pants and shirt and was probably in his late 20's or early 30's at the time. I don't know how I remember this stuff.

There are 2 big Zavitz discussions on HTP and your Uncle Ole's name comes up a few times, as well as the guy named Bill I mentioned who has since passed away. I understand he went to Melburn and had a small fleet of Superliners there?

Melburn, Quinn, and JE Fortin from Quebec also had a presence at the piers but Zavitz always had the most trucks by far.

Jim

Yes Green Dash I apologize for highjacking this thread but Ole did have 5 or 6 superliners on with Melburn pulling doubles they were V8 powered monsters white with blue stripes if anyone recalls them.Can you give me the name of the website he was mentioned on hes not too computer literate but I will look it up and show him.

Yes Green Dash I apologize for highjacking this thread but Ole did have 5 or 6 superliners on with Melburn pulling doubles they were V8 powered monsters white with blue stripes if anyone recalls them.Can you give me the name of the website he was mentioned on hes not too computer literate but I will look it up and show him.

Here are direct links to the threads:

This one is about Zavitz:

http://hankstruckforum.com/htforum/index.php?topic=755.msg4121#msg4121t

Edit: Now the site won't load. :idunno: The Zavitz thread will keep him quite busy until I get back on here tomorrow and find the other one. I gotta get truckin'.

Jim

Jim,neat that all those memories are still there after all these years! we may have crossed paths "back in the day" I spent many a day with my Dad at both Port Newark and Port Elizabeth when I was a boy,along with the always exciting Hunts Point and Bronx Terminal markets! As I remember though,the only bananas he hauled either came from Tioga Pier (84) in Philly,Camden or the Port of Wilmington...............................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.