no power to trailer brake lights

OK Gurus, here's one that i need help on.

I have brake lights at the tractor but there is no power to the brake lights in the trailer pigtail. I have checked the fusebox on the passenger dashboard where the glovebox would be and the small one by the steering shaft under the hood. Are there any additional fuseboxes I have overlooked.

Since I have brake lights on the tractor I assumed the brake switch must be good, but is there a seperate one for the trailer maybe? Truck is a 2001 CH613

Edited by RedBullDog

Yes, that was my first try. There is no power to brake lights at the plugin mounted on the chassis, and if you follow it to under the hood there is no power at the little row of hookups for the trailer wiring. thats why I thought fuse or switch. But I never saw a fuse designated for trailer lights on the passenger dash and the giant one on the firewall under the hood is good.

I haven't worked on one that new with that problem but I would follow the air lines from the trailer brake hand valve and I would guess there will be a pressure sw. tee. in the application line that's where I would look to see if maybe its faulty. that is after checking all fuses/circuit breakers

I took a Navistar dump truck to the dealer for a buddy the other day. He tried tracing the wires for a no turn stop/turn//tail lights to the back of the truck. He pulled his hair out. He called the Navistar dealer and the service manager suggested he bring it by. Thought they could just reprogram the computer,but had to REPLACE the computer to get the stop/turn/tail lights to work again! Don't know what that cost,but I'm sure it wasn't cheap! Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I've got an update, after crawling under the truck and trailer to grease slacks, I mashed the brake pedal hard 3 or 4 times. The last press i heard a sound like rushing air. I went to the back to see about the sound and saw trailer brake lights on, I tested them several times and they are working every time. Maybe there was a blockage in the air line to the brake switch? Anyway, prayer answered.

Navistar. !

Yeah my 2013 workstar

Did that no lights at all on rear

Bad connections high resistance burnt

Up module because guys who put dump body,plow and wing on it

Didn't do best job sealing it up .

so 1400.00 later lights working again

I had everything at trailer plug so if it happens agin

Probably put in a junction box and run off trailer harness

• 4 years later...

I can tell you that if this happens to me, I'm gonna put a relay in line with the pigtail recepticle and feed it off a good source of +12v and send the "signal" to the relay from the tractor brake lights wiring. To Heck with computer swapping for a simple and cheap repair that a minor modification can safely fix..