09 chu 613

The DEF systems are on US10 emission trucks. There are some 2010 and 2011 trucks without DEF but very few. The biggest issue with US10 emission trucks that I have seen are the NoX sensors. The 09 CHU should be a DPF only truck unless it is a very early US10.

• Like 1

They are pretty solid. Do not see a lot of issues with them. We just have our regular customers cleaned at around every 4500 hours. What kind does the truck you are looking at have. One on the back of the cab or one behind the passenger steps? The most common issue is the 7th injector. See if it has the air purge kit installed. It will have 2 lines into a tee on the 7th injector. If it does not have an air purge kit on it you will want to have one installed. It helps with the 7th injector issues.

It has the one behind the steps on passanger side; it has 2 lines coming out of INJECTER going back into filter bout half way down & at the bottom; they told me that it was a mp8 445; come to find out it is a 425e according to valve cover; salesman asked one of owners and he replied that they don't make a 425; this place has hard time telling me everything I would have thought they could pull up by vin but they claim they can't unless they sold the truck; finally found used truck inventory sheet & it says mp8 425e, 13sp, with 4.17 gears with 24.5s; what about that set up?

Do y'all think I should have it upgraded to 445 if I buy it; never heard anyone talk about 425; what about that gearing; still having concerns with the emission stuff; was thinking might be okay if got a extended warranty; they gave me some stuff on premium 2000+; read up on it and ntp I think it was; didn't see very good reviews; mostly bad; between this new emission engines and the extended warranty I'm real undecided!!

The pre scr engines like the 09 your looking at are pretty solid other than the 7th injector issues as stated before and injector cup issues. If its had the updates to all of that stuff it should be pretty decent. If not all you have to do is go to mack with the Vin and ask what updates or campaigns have been completed and what is available and go from there. The 425, 13 speed and 4.17 rears should pull great, I doubt you'd notice a lot of difference in uprating to 44. As long as the clutch trans and driveline are rated for the torque you can have mack update it all the way to 485 or 505 now, I doubt they're rated for the torque though. I'd say you found a pretty well specs truck for local work that should do a good job for ya but I can't see it from my house and there is a lot to be said for what a truck looks like.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Its a different torque rating from one to another engine and the clutch trans driveline and some rears have different torque ratings and using the minimum keeps costs down, to use an eaton 18913 transmission (1800# torque rating)instead of a 16913 (1600# rating) costs more and with the lower torque rating its considered a waste. I would order a new truck with the heaviest driveline clutch and trans available for a couple reasons, one you will be hard pressed to snap it off road, two if you uprate the engine or haul reakly heavy youll never overload the drivetrain.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

all mack it would come down to if the dealer fusses over what drive shaft u joints and clutch is in it but they should at the min. bump it 445 or 455 a good shop foreman should be able with the vin. tell you exactly what Mack will let them bump it to may take a couple days for Mack to get back with them

• 2 weeks later...

425 was available but uncommon. I've seen them more speced with Allisons in Granites years ago.

You wont see much of a difference between the 425-445. I've also come a cross MP engines that have been reprogrammed at a Mack dealer the proper way through Volvo (LOL) They changed the ECM program the proper way with all of its documentation but never affixed the decal for the valve cover on the unit. It happens.

From the sound of the spec it should haul good. I have 3 2008's with MP485C's. all are doing well and all have had Injector cups changed to Stainless cups.

Understand one thing, even if the cups have been replaced no matter what the year of the MP engine. If the tech was in a hurry or just out and out didn't follow the proper procedures, It will fail again.

My failures have been all over the map. Not all bad but I noticed the issues with cups tended to come out of one of the 4 dealers I deal with more then the others. Its a good engine, especially the bottom end. Run it. My 2013's have more exhaust electronic sensor issues then my pre 2010's

this goes against what has been said...but I had little trouble with an EPA2010 MP7 (SCR) motor.....i also didnt put on alot of miles, as it was a roll off truck...and my buddy who's driving it now reports no issues since the last time it was in the shop about a year ago to fix the fault & derate.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....