Slow shifting main box

nasty51ford

Hi, I have a triplex double over transmission in my B67, it was a swap, it came with a duplex direct 10 speed. My auxiliary box (the three speed) shifts very quickly, the main box however (the five speed) is very slow shifting, with, or without the clutch, is there any way to remedy this?

Merry Christmas All !! :)

Yep, I figured it was just the nature of the beast. I was just hoping there may be a way to get the RPM's to drop faster, I remember an "86" R model I use to drive back in "86" it had a 6 speed ( 5 speed with the Lo Hole) and there was an aneroid (puffer) valve they disconnected to make the RPM' s drop quicker so you could shift it quicker, and it would give it back it's bottom end grunt too! I know the old Spicer 5+4's and 4+4's I use to run shifted slower on the main box too, but not this damn slow! Lol.

I have tried doing them both at once Bob, like I used to do with the old Spicers, but......no help, it's just a waiting game for the RPM's to drop, all that two stick shifting at the same time doesn't really accomplish anything, just cool to show off with the grandkids! lol. If I had a Jake on it, I could shift the main much quicker!! Did they even make a Jake brake for the old END 673's ?

Only way to speed up shift is put a jake brake on it. Years back when I worked macks often I worked on this one truck that the driver used the jake on ever main box split and it was a pleasure to listen to him shift.I use a jake on mine only to knock the rpm down when in low gears coming out of the pit up hill.We was on a job last spring that required stopping on a hill.When we all would take off all of the other trucks would run in low gear for about three block till the hill leveled out some. With a jake you can pass all of them and they know not why because I don't run a straight pipe.

glenn akers

• 3 weeks later...

Disconnecting or disabling the puff limiter will do absolutely nothing to make the RPM drop quicker. It WILL make the engine accelerate more rapidly once you catch the next higher gear, the side effect being black clouds of smoke from the exhaust until the turbocharger "catches up" & starts pushing in enough air for a clean burn.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"