864 v8

Jocko

Hey guys I have another issue with the b 815 the truck shuts off once it reaches 180 degrees. I had it running and I blocked the front of the radiator cause I wanted to build up the tempature. And once it hit 180 it shuts down and won't start till its cold again. Is there like a safety shut down on this engine somewhere. I can't find any wires going to anything.

If there's a circuit, I would think it would have to go to the fuel pump.

Isn't that a mechanical pump, with the "pull knob to shut off"?

If so, the pump wouldn't have any wires on it normally?

Maybe some added fuel shutoff valve somewhere?

Beats me!

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I am no expert by any means, but there is either some sort of mechanical device that ties a temperature probe to the fuel system, or someone has added some kind of electric solenoid to the fuel line somewhere...I have never heard of either, but if present, it should no tbe hard to find!

Find your temperature sensor...if it is a bourdon tube that runs to the guage, that is not it...follow the fuel line from the tank to the pump, you will find it if something was added...

I don't think that is the issue though, because 180 degrees ought to be pretty close to the normal operating temperature...may be another issue that coincides withe the termperature rise...

• Like 1

I am no expert by any means, but there is either some sort of mechanical device that ties a temperature probe to the fuel system, or someone has added some kind of electric solenoid to the fuel line somewhere...I have never heard of either, but if present, it should no tbe hard to find!

Find your temperature sensor...if it is a bourdon tube that runs to the guage, that is not it...follow the fuel line from the tank to the pump, you will find it if something was added...

I don't think that is the issue though, because 180 degrees ought to be pretty close to the normal operating temperature...may be another issue that coincides withe the termperature rise...

Like maybe a lift pump going bad?

i already tried that and nothing works

When you pumped it, did you hear fuel going back to the tank?

If you remove the supply line beyond the primer, at the injection pump, can you pump fuel out of this line with the primer while hot?

The manual I have shows no temperature shutoff device. So, if it has one somewhere, I don't know anything about it.

I hate to be of no help, but I'd try cranking it over when it dies, and see how far along the system it gets fuel.

Maybe the bypass in the injection pump is bypassing all the fuel?

Again, sorry. I'm being worse than useless now.

does it have a watch dog a lot of industrial motors had them being an industrial type of truck it might have had something like that fitted ? Have you got some photos of the injector pump and bits and pieces ? might help to get everyones grey matter work

Pump

not familiar with your engine... but.... could it be fitted with an "alarmstat', very common on Detroits (peanut gallery add comments here). looks like a taller water temp sender with one wire. if you find it, just ground the wire when engine is running, if engine has electric shutdown it activates the solenoid, otherwise it would link the electric signal to an air operated piston pushing the injection pump stop lever.

180 sounds very low if that is what is happening here... usually set for 230 ish....

as said, not familiar with your engine.. just putting this info out there for you... just sound too familiar to me from DD experiance.

BC Mack

find the fuel shut off on the pump. Is there an air line going to a air cylinder with 2 wires on the bottom. this is the electric fuel shut off you can disconnect the air line and see if that fixes it. there is normally a kyzor control box mounted under the dash. if had them go haywire and do odd things.