Another tire question

What kind of 22 inch tire will support an 18,000 lb axle. Did they make a 12.00x 22? , i can't find any info on them. i know some guys run a 12r24.5 on tri-axle dumps but i'e yet to see one that is rated for the weight.

The engine is a 1674 cat. 270 hp. Float tires or a 315 is what i would like ,but as stated they fit a 20 inch spoke . This truck has 22 inch hubs on it. I don't know how hard it will be to find 20 inch hubs for it. it is a rockwell fl901 front axle with wedge brakes.

This is the truck I'am working on. so switching to 20 inch rubber won't be easy (probally cheapest to just put a hub pilot axle under there) Sorry not a mack this time

are you kidding??????im sure most of us are pissing ourselves over that brockway.lol.bob

• Like 1

Let me rephrase that, not a problem to switch to another Dayton hub but don't try to switch to Budds. Very had to find the hubs and drums to match up for your spindle and brakes. I did this over the winter and have a bunch of money in the project. You should be able to get 14000 and change on a set of 24.5 tires. Will you have that much weight up on the front of the truck when loaded

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

If you keep the same body on truck I do not think you will be over 14-15,000 loaded.Body looks to be 14'-14 1/2' long. Running third axle down with 75 lbs. air you should be legal. I run 31580 R22.5 on my tri-axle with 18' body set back axle Western Star. When loaded with 22.5 tons hot rocks for Pa. State one drop in front then one in ass and third in middle I have 16,000 at most with pusher down and 75lbs. pressure.on front axle . By looking at your axle it looks forward some more than mine.The 315's i run are rated a bit over 9000 lbs. each.Nice Huskie.Where do you run ? Joe D.

Thanks for the encouraging comments. I just bought this truck yesterday. Previous owner ( asphalt contractor ) told me he would load 22 tons in it. I stopped and weighed it on the way home 26,780lbs. The body is smaller than i'am used to (15' 4"). the RD688s that i used to have had 17.5 ft body i always ran 315's on that truck and i think i remember being close to 20,000lbs axle up. This truck spent its recent years as a site truck and is going to need some tlc before its ready for dot check. I' am based in Berks county PA.

Sweet truck, good luck with it I would try to get some 20" spokes and run 385 floats.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Do you plan on working for hire or for self.

Stay wit a heavy set of 24.5s. Otherwise you need to change hubs. Give me a call if you have questions, was just thru this. 716 four three 2 42 six seven. Don smith

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

The floats do so much better off road I'd have to try for a set, however the 12r24.5's do seem to be pretty stout, just act like pizza cutters in the dirt.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I 'am thinking some hire work would be nice while i build up my excavating business. I used to do all hire work with my RD and i liked it. I know this truck will be fine ( better than some big hp air ride peterbilt )for the kind of work i like to do. I just don't know if anyone who is hiring recognizes that. Most people just see an OLD truck. Anyway i haven't quit my day job yet. As far as the tires i think i' am going to go with the 12r24.5s for now and keep my eyes open. for 20 inch hubs. I have some good contacts in the junkyard business something will come up eventually.