Where Is #1 Cylinder? 401 Gas

jaked92

I cannot get 401 Maxidyne gas engine started although timing is correct,,new points etc,,and with the way it is misfiring and will not start it has been suggested possibly #1 cylinder is not at the radiator but is located at the firewall. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Was the engine running recently, if not double check that the dizzy is in correctly, not 180 cam degrees out. This will cause misfiring and carry on when trying to start, but will show up on a timing light as correct timing

I cannot get 401 Maxidyne gas engine started although timing is correct,,new points etc,,and with the way it is misfiring and will not start it has been suggested possibly #1 cylinder is not at the radiator but is located at the firewall. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Magnadyne

Are the plug wires installed correctly?

Firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Thanks guys,,yes #1 is at the rad,,,next to number 2,,,seems the problem is stuck intake valves on #2,3,4 and 5,,,looks like the head has to come off,,,tried freeing up # 2 through the side cover but it is really stiff and the rest will be nearly impossible to get any leverage on,,can't believe how much prying pressure to get ér down,,,We had the truck running last summer and pretty dissappointing to see this mess...

This whole problem started with pouring gas down carb to start engine,,,,later found carb plugged,,the gas washed all the oil off valves leaving it to rust over the winter,,,Ya ,,,whoa is me

You might try fogging some oil, i.e. auto transmission fluid and penetrating oil, in the cylinders and valve stems and guides to see if they will loosen up. Let it soak for several hours, preferably overnight.

Make sure to leave your plugs out while rotating the engine. Liquids don't compress very well.

Good luck.

David

Stuck valves seem common on flatheads. After a good spray of penetrating oil I use an allen wrench inserted through the plug holes. The angle can get you directly over the valve then a tap with the hammer will usually set then into place. After they drop into place crank the engine and repeat the process on the remaining stuck ones. I have neighbors that seem to have stuck valves in thier irrigation pump engines each year. Thats how I take care of them.

Chuck

Stuck valves seem common on flatheads. After a good spray of penetrating oil I use an allen wrench inserted through the plug holes. The angle can get you directly over the valve then a tap with the hammer will usually set then into place. After they drop into place crank the engine and repeat the process on the remaining stuck ones. I have neighbors that seem to have stuck valves in thier irrigation pump engines each year. Thats how I take care of them.

Chuck

Thanks,,I will fog,,pour transmission oil down cylinders and tap at valves through plug holes.. I really don't want to remove head. Fortunately a blizzard rolled through today so I did not start removing head.

OT I have been delivering some Mack Pinnacles with Volvo engines and 18 speed automatics,,,the epitamy of laziness for the driver but they work really well,,usually grossing 130k with A-trains