First C-Model Sleeper I ever saw. Nice picture with belly mount reefer. Greenstein was out of Pompano Beach,Florida. Was last run by daughter of owner. Article in last 2 issues of Old Time Trucks. Was a good company to be leased to from what article said. Geenstein name on bumper was mandatory along with green color. Joe D.

Joe,i never heard a bad word about Shendel Greenstein (former owners daughter),my Dad did a lot of trip-lease work for them in the sixties,and had a good many friends leased on with them. that's also the first C-Model I ever saw with a sleeper.............................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Joe,i never heard a bad word about Shendel Greenstein (former owners daughter),my Dad did a lot of trip-lease work for them in the sixties,and had a good many friends leased on with them. that's also the first C-Model I ever saw with a sleeper.............................Mark

WOW, trip-lease I have not heard that term used in years! When I was a kid my dad did work for a guy in Harrison NJ that my uncle was the disp. for (Spiegel Trucking) They did all of Hartz Mountain's trucking (Trans-Pet) 90% of the work went through a broker @ the Jersey Truck Stop by the name of Tip O'Neil and his daughter. Things got so B/Z back in the day that Izzy the owner bought a Dodge Van and put a guy with a desk and Type wrighter and a check book and did the lease's right at the W-House that they loaded from! But as a kid gust sittin there, I heard and saw things that will forever be branded in my memory (all good) heres a couple, the first time I saw a CB radio was back around 1965? in an O-O's truck with about 5 ant. whips on his tractor, saw an A-C purple engine in a International I think it was? saw my first V-12 in a CO Freightliner and the same guys brother had one with a V-8 turbo Cat that would not stay together! (had a 1693 put in by Cat after the third time) First saw an Automatic in a truck was a Monford Circus Wagon with a load going back west! Also for the first time saw a guy and his wife with a day cab Freightliner V8 71 350 hp Detroit witha big ass body on back witha hitchen an shower an gen set ! This was there home! WOW! but the best was I guess I was about 9 or 10 when this guy was cuttin up this big round pill (4 way cut) and I asked my uncle what kinda candy the guy had?? Thanks for the memories Mark! I'm commin up to the big 60 soon so It's nice to get the old brain stimulated once in a while!

Ernie DS

BULLHUSK

• Like 1

I remember that term "Trip Lease" very well.. Had to mail back the signs, bingo card, duplicate logs, ETC before they would pay you. And if they felt like hanging onto your money they sent them back saying you had done it wrong, and you started all over again!!

Brocky

About trip leasing. It was illegal to trip lease both ways outbound and inbound. When filling out the trip lease papers I always put in powdered milk as it was an exempt commodity.If broker did not know you and you were not on permanent lease to a company some would not load you.If you were a permanent trip leasor all you needed for insurance was Bobtail and Deadhead Insurance for liability. When under load you were covered by Lessor's Insurance. Unless hauling exempt then you needed full liability and cargo insurance. I would not want to do it again in todays envoirment. Joe D.

Thanks Ernie! lot of memories myself! my Dad ran dry freight out of Jersey or Philly south,then produce or fresh flowers back out of Florida for both Greenstein and Armellini Express he used to go to the stock car races with Jerome "Toots" Armellini when they was young. He did a lot of the multiple stop LTL routes coming north,as they mostly paid better then truckload. He did get burnt by a few shyster brokers,which is what made him change over to household goods in the seventies.He told me back in the day he hauled a many a load on a handshake! And most guys were as good as their word about paying the bill.I guess them days are long gone now!.................................................Mark

My uncle would have trip lease signs on his doors occasionally. My cousin and I had quite a collection after a while! Remember the holders that would snap on the doors? Most of the time you would see them just taped on the door. I wish that I'd kept those signs.Most of the outfits are gone now.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Green Dash I trip leased quite a few loads for Transamerican in Jersey. Muellers Macaroni to Michigan. Because Transamerican was a Union Outfit they would check at the docks for trip leasers. I forgot what the outcome was but money was involved.That was when the union had power. Joe D.

Green Dash I trip leased quite a few loads for Transamerican in Jersey. Muellers Macaroni to Michigan. Because Transamerican was a Union Outfit they would check at the docks for trip leasers. I forgot what the outcome was but money was involved.That was when the union had power. Joe D.

My uncle Nick was a dispatcher for them when they were in Secaucus years back! Local 560 when a guy named Jack Sheriaden ran the local, was not a good time

BULLHUSK

My uncle would have trip lease signs on his doors occasionally. My cousin and I had quite a collection after a while! Remember the holders that would snap on the doors? Most of the time you would see them just taped on the door. I wish that I'd kept those signs.Most of the outfits are gone now.

I've thought the same thing, wish I had kept some of those signs, but you had to turn them in with the paperwork at the end of the trip or they'd keep part of the money. I hated taping them to the door, it was hard to get all the tape off afterwards. If I got checked at the scales while trip leased and they wanted to know why I didn't have the signs on i'd just show them the signs and say "it was raining when I left and I was afraid they'd blow off, and if I lose them it'll cost a couple hundred dollars", even if it hadn't rained for 2 months. They never bothered me for it, or made me put them on though.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Only one I was able to hang onto is a GREENSTEIN door sign from the 60's? my Dad had,its in my toyroom but starting to get dry-rotted. I managed to get a couple A-P-A logos before they went under too. I know where there is an old McLean trucking trailer nearby that still has the "double diamond" logos on it would be neat in a garage or toyroom!...............................Mark

Just think of the many companies we've seen over the years vanish,not to mention the "Special Commodities Divisions" ! We could start a whole new thread with them! Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Al thanks for mentioning Special Commodities Divisions. Just about all the major Union carriers at the time until late 1980"S had one.Their rates were pretty good and they paid fairly quick compared to some. I trip leased to Johnson Motor Lines quite often back then cases and drums of motor oil from Jersey City to Buffalo. I always tried to get permanent lease but to no avail. Many other long gone Carriers were in my book. Joe D.