E7 and E-tech jake brake

fullfuel01

I installed a jake on my 1999 E7 ETECH 400 and it does not brake very well. I spent about 3000 buying it and getting it installed and I wouldn't spend that money again. One thing that did help was when I changed my oil the last time I added a gallon of Lucas. That has definitely helped but it is not near as effective as the jake on my truck with a 400 big cam cummins. Somebody on this forum recommended the Lucas and it works. Do a search on jakes on this forum and you will see that others have not had much success with them on E7s, something to do with oil pressure(?????)

I am planning on putting a E7 in a CH model to work this spring and it does not have a jake but am going to consider a Telman retarder.I have not called any one on pricing so that may be the killer. Any one on here been around them?

Big bucks.

I plan on buying a 2002 E-tech, it does not have jake brake on it. would a Jake brake kit from a 1997 E7 fit? I never had to remove the valve cover on the E-tech and my Mack dealer better answer is, we don't know.

An engine brake on an E-7 engine will not fit/work on an E-Tech engine. Another option, other than Jake Brake, may be the Mack Power Leash. You would have to check with the Mack parts dept. to see if your engine is compatible. I've heard the Power Leash works better than the Jake Brake, but how much or if its even worth spending the money on I couldn't tell you. I don't drive 'em, just work on them.

One of the reasons for the poor performance of the engine brake is the smaller displacement of the Mack engine vs other engines. The Mack E-7/E-Tech is 728 ci where the Cummins 400 big cam engine is 855 ci.

Good luck

• Like 2

An engine brake on an E-7 engine will not fit/work on an E-Tech engine. Another option, other than Jake Brake, may be the Mack Power Leash. You would have to check with the Mack parts dept. to see if your engine is compatible. I've heard the Power Leash works better than the Jake Brake, but how much or if its even worth spending the money on I couldn't tell you. I don't drive 'em, just work on them.

One of the reasons for the poor performance of the engine brake is the smaller displacement of the Mack engine vs other engines. The Mack E-7/E-Tech is 728 ci where the Cummins 400 big cam engine is 855 ci.

Good luck

While I may not have a whole lot of experience with other truck makes, the powerleash on my mp7 works very well considering the relatively small displacement of the motor.

With a full load (34000kg), I can get 25-30lbs on the turbo from 1800-1400 in 7th, 6th and 5th on an 8ll....

• Like 1

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

If i'm not mistaken I have an etec jake setup with an external line set up for just that reason. Jacobs updated the system to have external oil lines to provide more oil pressure thus making it more effective.I have a mechanical e7 this won't work on my motor BTW its for sale, Gene 208-573-3989