35 Years at Mack Hagerstown book - back cover

seems someone may have gotten their covers reversed, info anyway

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

The day cab version of the cutting edge Mack Ultra-Liner. What a looker. That truck doesn't look the least bit dated.

The Ultra-Liner was extremely advanced in engineering, and arguably the safest COE cab design still to this day.

The Ultra-Liner could easily have been developed forward, to remain a cutting edge product in the global COE market.

When you consider the American COEs still produced today (for global markets), the Freightliner Argosy 2, Kenworth K200 and International 9800i, an updated Ultra-Liner or (more likely at this point) a totally evolved Ultra-Liner II could/would be a far superior truck to both its American competitors and European examples like Volvo FH.

Remember, America was producing successful COEs while the European brands were still working out the bugs in theirs. Our drivetrains, for example, were FAR superior. And that's one reason why Mack had such a strong presence in Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Western Asia.

The road into the plant was renamed "Volvo Way".

Sickening.......

Volvo Group is very adamant about their employees doing things the "Volvo way". It has been the root cause for many Mack veterans to depart. A massive knowledge drain. A few frustrated ones hung on, with retirement nearing. Quite a few were asked for their resignations, each after having the audacity to point out to Swedish management that their "Volvo way" was inferior to the pedigreed way under the former Mack Trucks. Now, 30-year veterans are a rarity, and both parts and service are frustrating for both customer and distributor alike (Dealing with Volvo on warranty repairs, a slow process indeed).

:idunno:

BTW, here is the front cover....see anything interesting?

Aside from the 45 star flag??

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I've got to dig up that copy of the BULLDOG from the early '70's that showed a water tower at the old plant (5C-?) in Allentown. There is a story in there about a guy and his WIFE painting the tower in a RED/WHITE/BLUE theme. I want to say they even volunteered to do the job! Stay tuned folks,more to follow............

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Didn't the "bicentennial" colors actually appear in 1970 as the "70th anniversary" colors???

1970 or 71 as "ALL AMERICAN MACK".

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1970 or 71 as "ALL AMERICAN MACK".

I had thought it coincided with the 70th anniversary...1970. But, I wasn't exactly sure.

From what everyone has said, sounds pretty close. I know for a fact I have seen pictures of steel dash R's in that paint scheme.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

It's interesting to me,that they would choose the "modern" logo over the "real" logo for the cover,especially on a book about Mack's history?.......................................Mark

I can understand your thought. But even though I also prefer what we called the "5-color logo", the new logo was the official corporate logo when this document was made.

• Like 1