Fire

mackdaddy

I have been playing with fuel mixtures to get fire/orange glow out the stack of a two six bits cummins I have on a retarder. Anyone with an idea that would help on this? I just can't seem to lug it down with enough power to produce the flame. I can do it on my LT with same type engine pulling a load. If anyone has seen Tally's display at shows he puts out a big flame but wont tell me the secret!

HaHa! Boys and toys!

I don't have the answer but have seen some rodders run the mixture fat and then have a spark plug ignite the mixture at the tailpipe. Obviously this is on gas but I wonder if a glow plug in the exhaust pipe might do the same thing?

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Larry your will also if you give it enough fuel but who wants to burn one. In the early days when I first started the old timers had their fuel set out enough to get a six" yellow cone out of the stack and most said that is enough to burn pistons if you stay in it too long.The timing has something to do with it also.If the timing is slow the fuel burns closter to the end of the power strok and some will go out the valves if slow enough.Fast timing or early timimg will burn deeper in the hole causing no flame but heat in the piston and coolant.

glenn akers

There is no Oxygen in the exhaust of a diesel and the spark plug with propane wont work. was told I would have to add O2 to the mix or basically an acetylene torch..........too dangerous for me.

My LT will get an orange cone at night with a decent load on it. My retarder on the Pete just might not be enough to do it although it sure works the engine.