1925 AB Valve Springs

fxfymn

I am in the process of rebuilding a 1925 AB fire truck engine. I need to find valve springs for the engine; new or used. The engine is the removable head version with 9 bolts per head. If you have springs from another version let me know and I'll chase down the PN to see if they will work.

Carl Maurice

540-785-0555

post-2016-0-83756300-1391128630_thumb.jp

post-2016-0-02096900-1391128744_thumb.jp

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Thanks Jim; been there without luck.

I need to find some in the next three weeks or I'll be forced to get new springs made. The upside is I'll have a stock to share; the downside is it will run around $1300 for 150 of each spring.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Century Spring Co. I gave them the unloaded height, diameter, wire diameter,number of coils and i.d. They matched what I needed for my AC engine from their stock.

http://www.centuryspring.com/

spring_measurement_compression.jpg

Compression Spring Dimensions

1. Hold the base of the spring in one hand, and the calipers in the other hand.
  2. Place the calipers on the outside of the last coil, measuring the largest dimension. This is called the Outside Diameter (O.D.).
  3. Place the calipers on the wire in the center of the spring. This is called the Wire or Material Size. You should also measure the wire toward one end for comparison and accuracy.
  4. Place the calipers on the full length of the uncompressed spring. This is called Free Length.
  5. Count the total coils, beginning at one end, just next to where the wire has been cut. Be sure you count all coils, including any portion of a coil. (see diagram for example)

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks; I'll try them. I have all the dimensions; so far no one has been able to match them.

I went with them for 4 reasons. 75 years in the general spring business, OEM for some engine makers, they can possibly cross reference OEM Part Numbers and can make them if they do not have them for a very reasonable price.

You AB engine is the same or same family as the AC and AC6 engines made to the mid to late 30's. I was told they were a common off the shelf spring when I started my "quest" for engine parts. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

As soon as I can get to them where they are in winter storage. I'll give you the numbers for the valve springs, valves, aluminum pistons and the insert rod bearing set up instead of the babbeted bearings.

I am looking for a one Alloy High Hat head for mine.

Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Another thought occured to me. I also have a AL 6 cylinder engine that has removable heads. Don't know for sure, but it looks just like the high hat engine heads. Carey

I'll get in touch next week Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the help.

I located a very close replacement at Diamond Wire Spring. Since the quantity price was quite a bit less than the price for 8 I have ordered extras if anyone needs them for a rebuild. They will run $5.50 each plus shipping. I also had to have retainers made, which should be replaced along with the springs if you want to make sure you don't have issues with the valves later in life. They are $11.00 each plus shipping. I'm not making money on these, just asking what I have in them.

The machine shop also located valve guides that are a very close match to the originals. I'll get the PN and vendor from him in case anyone needs these as well.

I had the valves made by H&J Machining in Carrington, ND. I highly recommend him. Fair prices and he does a great job. He also stocks a lot of old John Deere engine parts.

Big relief. Even my machine shop guy was stumped by this one.

I see you are near Keene. I (mis) spent part of my youth in the Gilsum area with a couple who absolutely defined what it meant to be from NH. Both well into their 70's they were an absolute hoot to be around, even for a teenager. They lived right on Rte. 10 in a house sided with old road signs, because as the husband said "there was no sense in making it permanent since we moved here because my doctor told me I was dying." Of course they moved there 25 years before I met them and the doctor in question was long since dead.

I put my parent's trailer across the street from their house, right on the Ashuelot River and hunted there in the fall. Mostly woodcock, but also some deer. Great memories.