Computer or ECM?

Brandt

This is a stupid question, but when did Mack start using computers on their engines?? Did they go complete computer control or did they phase it in with a fuel computer but not a full blown ECM??

The next question is: If my truck does not have ANY computer on it, can I weld on it w/o disconnecting the batteries??

I have a '91 EM7 300

I've always disconnected the batteries to weld, and was also taught early on to ground close to where your welding....works good now, as the ground clamp on the welder in the shop is about 4'long......needed some cable to make boosters lol

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

OK, I'll disconnect before welding.

Still not sure on weather I have an ECM or not. I do have an electronic fuel pedal but don't know if it is just electronic for fuel or the full monty.

If you have an "electronic" fuel pedal you have a VMAC I. Does your truck have electronic cruise control? In my MH, the computer/ECM is in the cab under the dash on the passenger side.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

VMAC 1 has 2 modules, the VECU monitors vehicle functions and the FIC controls fuel injection. Both " should" both disconnected before any welding operations, but removing the battery grounds is usually sufficient. Keep in mind control modules and programming for older trucks is very expensive.

i think 91 was the first year of vmac 1 ? but you could get mechanical e7 350 right up until 98 emmisions i believe. we had a 93 superliner with a vmac 1 e7 400 . ive seen 97 rd' s with mechanical e7 350. the e9 's stayed mechanical right up until the end in 99.

V-Mac I 1990-late1994 E7 up to 400hp

V-Mac II 1994-late1997 E7 up to 454hp

V-Mac III 1997-late2002 E-Tech up to 487hp

V-Mac IIII 2002-2007 ASET up to 487hp

I think these are pretty close but can differ on build date and model year etc.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
1 hour ago, tractor said:

on a v-maciii e7-400 can you turn up power

yes how ever physical changes will likley be needed making it cost prohibitive ! Programing ,Cam Key change, Turbo ,just o name of a few!

• Like 1