Half-Dog change

Does anyone know when the half-dog emblem changed from the straight-ahead version to the type that is essentially a half of the hood ornament?

I never see the earlier version for sale.

It's one of those trivial things that I like knowing.

Does anyone know when the half-dog emblem changed from the straight-ahead version to the type that is essentially a half of the hood ornament?

I never see the earlier version for sale.

It's one of those trivial things that I like knowing.

i would guess 1966..went from the hood to the doors..bob

OK, thanks.

I bought a pair of the newer style two years ago at Macungie, from two different vendors.

Both were NOS, but I really wanted the older style. Didn't see any, but there were plenty of the newer style, usually for $35+, depending on how badly pitted they were.

They were attached to the sides of the tank on my bike, which is styled after a Mack fire truck, complete with authentic gold leaf striping. I also lucked out and bought a used ashtray with the smaller hood ornament style bulldog in nice shape.

It now resides on top of the bike's headlight.

I'm presently re-doing the tank and since the bulldogs are off, if I can, I'll replace them with older style, if I can find a decent pair at a good price.

Joe,

There are a couple of listings right now in the "vintage mack truck parts" category, for the old side dogs. Unfortunately, they are pitted and aren't cheap enough in my my book. (....cheap....cheap....cheap..)

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA