What a night. Sterling-2, Deer-0.

Green Dash

Got my 4th and 5th kills in little more than a year last night.

1. I-79 sb in Shinnston, WV. There was a car on the shoulder with it's 4-ways on. I moved left and glanced in the mirror to move back right. As soon as my eyes were forward again my headlights reflected in the eyes of an injured (buck, I think). I barely had time to get off the throttle. One bump. two quick bumps, and 2 more quick bumps. Made it to exit 125 and was pleased to nothing more than a missing fog light and some flesh and blood.

I checked things out again when I got to Charleston, WV and still couldn't find anything wrong. I grabbed an empty for an uneventful ride up to Cambridge, OH. Did my relay with INDY, took lunch and headed towards home to start the weekend

2. I-70 eb in Claysville, PA. Cruising along, thinking I got his week in the bag. I see something move in the darkness and in less time than it took me to think "no f*****g way I'm about to hit another deer", I hit another deer. I pulled into the Claysville rest area and was greeted with a big, bright green wet spot on the ground when I opened the door. I went underneath amongst the deer guts, old and new, and quickly determined that we weren't driving away from this one. 2 hours 40 minutes later the hook showed up with a replacement tractor from my terminal 20 miles away.

The second hit was a fawn but I caught her dead center and straddled over her which explains why there was more damage than the much larger first hit. All in all, the Sterling held up well and should be up and running in no time.

The missing fog light is the result of the first hit. There are 2 spots in the bottom section of the bumper that are damaged from the second hit. The wires you see hanging are from the remaining fog light. Coolant was leaking from 2 locations. One was a hose but I couldn't see where the second leak originated from.

53658fae-5720-4cac-a8b8-f7bab83ea0ce_zps

• Like 2

Jim

Damn, I think ID try another truck that one seems to like wildlife. GI get you two sets of those deer whistles and find a hole for em.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Lol....did someone spray some sent on that truck that attracts deer?

Glad your ok.

5 years ago I hit a deer on Christmas eve. It was snowing ,about 11 pm , flat land 2 lane road ,just jumped out of no where. I think he was hiding behind a tree lol.....sounded like someone threw a basked ball at the cars hood. It took out the left headlight and minor body damage. We got lucky

Sorry to read of your "hits" but glad you survived with minor issues. You need to put a decal on the fender for each "hit".

It is deer season and I think the deer want to commit suicide rather than get shot. Go figure.

On a recent trip to PA, I counted about 10 dead deer along side of the road (green stamp and 22).

Be careful out there!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Geez! a rough night! been lucky lately (although a few close calls) last deer i blasted was with my MH,truck in front of me hit it first,threw it out in front of me,i couldn't move over to avoid it because another truck was passing me,THEN truck number 3 hit what was left! it was a hell of a mess! somewhere around $3800.00 damage to my truck alone! This damn thing prolly weighed in the 200 pound range! I was still finding pieces MONTHS later!..........................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

It's common to see at least a dozen or so hits on a fall night around here, but that's only a fraction of what's roaming around near the highways. There was well over a hundred that I saw and didn't hit so I guess it could've been worse. The potential aftermath is the main concern, especially at night when there isn't much advance warning and most hits are at highyway speed. The best case scenario is to knock it clear from the highway but there's just as much chance of getting caught in in the steering or being knocked into the path of another vehicle. I've been very lucky in that regard.

So if they were doe does that put them lady drivers category?

Absolutely. There are clear similarities in the skills and judgement of the two.

Jim

Ya know the deer sticker on the fender sounds like fun, been done on fighters and bombers for years and years to keep track of kills, I think we can come up with a small deer profile to use for a kill on the side of a truck.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Who needs a gun and ammo when you can just take a drive?

And I can deliver them any way you like. The second was a clean hit but I processed the hell outta that first one!

As Ron White puts it: If you ever wanna kill a deer, slow the bullet down to 55 mph and put lights and a little horn on it. The deer wiil run out in front of it.

• Like 1

Jim

Ya know the deer sticker on the fender sounds like fun, been done on fighters and bombers for years and years to keep track of kills, I think we can come up with a small deer profile to use for a kill on the side of a truck.

A very small sticker. Looks like I need to conserve space.

Jim

Very good idea Ryan. I'd buy one each time I needed one. Probably become an ACE real soon.

Jim I looked for Dog and Cat decals but did not find them.

Oh, last night coming home from the g/f house, a motorist turned left in front of my right turn. We were headed front fender to front fender. I'm glad I let him have his way cause it would have got ugly.

mike

Oh, last night coming home from the g/f house, a motorist turned left in front of my right turn. We were headed front fender to front fender. I'm glad I let him have his way cause it would have got ugly.

mike

I like to keep going to within inches before taking evasive action in a situation like that. Hopefully it'll teach them to pay attention next time.

My Wife gets pissed when I do that but I always tell her "it's okay, I'm a professional". And as always, she's not impressed.

• Like 2

Jim

I like to keep going to within inches before taking evasive action in a situation like that. Hopefully it'll teach them to pay attention next time.

My Wife gets pissed when I do that but I always tell her "it's okay, I'm a professional". And as always, she's not impressed.

And yes I do the same thing sometimes in my little car, but this truck is not mine. They had to have seen my headlights even though their windows were dark black, driving an older Tahoe. I needed a bazooka.

mike