Power Divider makes horn honk?

kzp70

Hey everyone. I just started a job driving a 2012 Mack Pinnacle day cab PTO truck with mDrive for delivering bulk feed to dairies using a walking floor trailer. I work at night and sometimes I can't see that I am getting into a bad traction situation until I am already in it (dairies are not truck friendly environments, lots of loose dirt, feed scattered on concrete, dead ends and tight corners). If I expect trouble, I normally hit the power divider (is this the same thing as the "inter-axle differential" switch that I see on the freightliners I used to drive?). As soon as I hit the switch the horn starts blasting and I can't tell if the 2nd axle is kicking in. No warning lights, messages on dash or anything else. What is going on with this thing? Does having the PTO on or off matter? Thanks.

my 2001 does the same thing. Also if you dump the air ride.

Just a warning that it is engaged

Our Visions have a steady annoying tone but the beeping on the Pinnacles is worse, IMO. As I recall, the Visions also have lights on the dash but the Pinnacles have nothing. The truck speed is limited if you try to run with either the bags dropped or PDL engaged.

Jim

Our Visions have a steady annoying tone but the beeping on the Pinnacles is worse, IMO. As I recall, the Visions also have lights on the dash but the Pinnacles have nothing. The truck speed is limited if you try to run with either the bags dropped or PDL engaged.

The 2012 pinnacle lease truck i drove only beeped with the PDL locked in, i accidentally kicked the bag deflate switch in one night, but that is another story all together....

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

The 2012 pinnacle lease truck i drove only beeped with the PDL locked in, i accidentally kicked the bag deflate switch in one night, but that is another story all together....

I get confused with the Visions and Pinnacles as to which does what as I don't drive a Mack everyday, but I'm pretty sure with one of them I've had to listen to a steady tone while pulling out from under a trailer.

Jim

Don't feel bad buddy.....I've swapped trucks around so much lately i get confused what does what anymore. If i remember right the pinnacle only beeped with the power divider locked in

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

They use to have warning lights for for truck drivers now they have ALARMS for steering wheel holders......and they cant even do that right....

Yep. The Sterling I drive has a red light on the switch for the suspension and an amber light on the PDL. Forgetting is never an issue.

my 2011 GU makes a sound similar to the electric horn when the iad is locked....

Yep. I drove an '11 Pinnacle last night. The suspension switch has no alarm, but the beeping while the PDL is engaged sounds an awful lot like a city horn.

Jim

Green Dash is right. It isn't the horn that is beeping but a small interior alarm that sounds for all the world like the outside horn does when the doors are closed and engine is running. I hit the power divider to get it beeping and opened the door, expecting to get my ears blasted, and it was almost entirely quiet outside. I closed the driver door and the sound went away completely. I climbed back in and hit the horn button on the steering wheel and suddenly there were two beeping horns. The truck already had a different sounding alarm for low air, so just figured that this thing that sounded like the horn actually was the horn. Go figure. Thanks for the help everybody.

Edited by kzp70

The engine idle shut down timer alarm makes the same stupid noise, along with a message in the display.....come to think of it, the iad lock shows up in the display too. Theres also a light above the switch on the lower center stack for the iad lock and cross locks. Used to be a beeper for rails up and pto on, but they were removed by someone lol.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

That explains why my power divider doesn't work. Whenever I needed it I would just blow the horn. Next time i'll try using the switch on the dash and see what happens.

You have it backwards. Next time someone cuts you off, lock in the power divider. The horn will beep and it will slow the truck down. Trust me.

Jim